• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice for a first time builder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maybe a southern mtn rifle?...they are less cost due to less parts?...still cool factor!
and they shoot just as good!

marc

Kaintuck - Thanks for the explanation about ramrods on TVM guns.

Bill ”“ Thank you Sir. Your reply sums it up nicely.
:bow:

Yep, they route down through the fore arm to make the ram rod groove. On a stock I got from them I put my ramrod in the hole then glued a spare piece of maple in on top of it to cover the grove but still have a hole for the ramrod.

Very good advice! I thought I had to have a leman trade rifle until I shouldered a well built replica by Jack Brooks. True to an original but best fit for a smaller person.

if Chambers offered Southern Mountain, I'd probably have a dozen of them ... you may want to give them a call and chat them up ... describe what you're wanting to do and see what they recommend.

As regards books, you have good advice, and if you haven't already done so, you should get the 'big three.' this seems a bit spendy, but this will save you much more than the cost of parts you don't ruin, as well as delays waiting for replacement parts to arrive, as well as all that extra time in purgatory for the bad language you won't have used...

avoid buying 'sets' of tools (chisels come to mind). You'll end up only using only a few of the tools in the set. Instead, get the best tools you can on a one-at-a-time basis. Also, learn to get a shave- ready edge: scary sharp- no, neurosurgery sharp. This will also save you a bunch of headache, and you will cut yourself less often. It is virtually impossible to get bloodstains out of a maple stock.
(Please don't ask how I know ... :redface:)

never hesitate to take break: this is supposed to be fun, after all.

although it seems daunting, there is nothing like the feeling of touching off a rifle which you made with your own hands.

good luck with your first build!

(psst, should we warn him about the addictive nature of this activity? naw - he'll figure it out!)

Make good smoke!

Much appreciated MSW. I took the advice of of earlier relies and ordered two more books and a DVD today. A hundred bucks doesn't go far. :shocked2:
I haven't even thought about tools!

Aargow,

Ok, I'm going to reiterate, just one more time....then I'll butt out.
I've built over 40 guns, both from scratch and from various "kits".
I've built over a dozen Chambers guns. In fact I've built nearly every kit they offer..........there are NO better kits out there!!!!!!
period!!!! You will get better results because the architecture is right for the style of gun. You won't end up with a "kinda" Lancaster. You will end up with one that looks right!

I hope this helps!

Since it sounds like you are in Eastern Ohio, I would check out the Log Cabin Shoppe near Akron. They also have everything you would want, but have free classes one saturday a month, with Ian Pratt teaching. Google it for info.

Bill

Latest posts

Back