• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on gun Flint tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Lasley

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been knapping arrowheads for years just wanting to learn to make gun flints. Anyone know where to get the tools or how to make the tools? Thanks Steve

Usually Steve the best gun flints are made from blades struck off cores and then cut into the widths one needs.
I now make all mine from points I have broken or large flakes from bi-faces that won't make good points.
I was told heat treated chert will not make good gun flints but have proven this to be untrue.
So what ever means you use to develop a good circular core to strike off long blades is what tools you need for the job.
I have used copper boppers and moose antler billets but mostly just pressure flake the broken point remains to gun flint shape. I like to use an 8 inch carbide green wheel for flattening the back humps on blade flints and shaping the strike edge bevel initially and then pressure flake it to a saw tooth for maximum spark shower production.Mike D.

Back