• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Advice on gun to start with . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks man. I think you're reading my mind. Now I'm just trying to figure out the right combo of flint vs. perc. and 50 vs. 54. I agree that the flint/54 is probably how I'd want to go. But no one seems to have them. Cabelas lists the 54 flint for $530. But Dixie Gunworks has the 50 percussion for $435. I'm trying to decide if for the $100 difference I wouldn't be just as happy with the 50 percussion. Maybe I'll split the difference and get the 50 flint for $465 at Dixie.

BTW -when you buy something like a GPR flintlock does it generally come with the flint, or is that something I would have to buy extra?

Thanks,

Ben

Wow. Their prices are good. May have to call them tomorrow.

But no one seems to have the 54 flint in stock. I wonder if that's God's way of telling me I really should be getting a percussion. A 54 percussion for $350 might just be too much to pass up.

I suspect for hunting I'd be happier with a percussion. I've just kind of always been fascinated with flintlocks.

Ben

Ben, a great place to start is the Lyman Great Plains Rifle. It's pretty period accurate. It's a round ball shooter and is a great gun overall. You can get it in flint or percussion also. They make kits which are very well fitted and high quality. It's a great kit to get some practice in with. Even when you get your high end gun, having a good shooting second gun is a good idea if for no other reason than letting newcomers to the sport try it out. :)

Ben,

I would dip my toe into this pond with an inexpensive caplock version while planning all along to move up later. This way you have something now to shoot and you can mingle with people until you learn enough about the time periods, guns and styles to make up your mind on a gun that will fit all of your needs/wants.

This is what I did and it worked well for me. Besides, this left me with another gun to hook other suc... Uh to initiate new members into the ML realm.

CS

Yeah, I think I have this figured out. Looks like tomorrow me and the ol' Cabelas Visa are going to talk to Midsouth and order up a Lyman GPR in .54 percussion. I'm going back and forth about the percussion vs. flintlock thing. I'd really like it to be a flintlock just because I've always been fascinated by them. But no one seems to have the 54 flintlock in stock (which I'm taking as a sign). And this won't be my last gun. I'm already thinking that I need a turkey gun for the spring. Maybe that can be a flintlock? Or maybe the 32 cal I buy to shoot rabbits and squrrels with? We'll see.

Ben

I learned a long time ago that I'm too impatient to be a fine woodworker. Plus I don't know anything about browning, blueing, inlaying, or any of the other arts that go into making a fine gun.

I could see myself buying a kit, screwing it up six ways to Sunday, throwing the whole thing in the trash and then buying a ready made gun anyway.

Ben, don't sell yourself short. While I do have some woodworking experience, I'm am by no means an expert woodworker. The Lyman kit comes with a precarved stock, and while most of the hard work is done for you, you still have to do some inletting. I could have purchased an off the shelf rifle but I wanted to build one. Like you, I didn't want something ordinary, just like all the others out on the line. I looked at the kit as a blank canvas, ready for me to make it unique, all my own. I also could have slapped that thing together and been firing it long ago (I started in March). Instead I took my time, learning as I went along. This discussion group is a great place to hook up with. There are so many here with so much experience in staining, carving, inlaying, blueing, browning. And they all want to help. No kidding, you've seen it first hand with this thread. On my project, I had a problem with the barrel keys not fitting properly. I asked for help and had an answer the same day. Brett had it right, buy a lower end kit (like the Lyman) and learn as you go. I tell you, you will love the feeling when you pull the trigger on something that you built and personalized yourself.

Scott

Thanks Scott. I may try that someday. I'm definitely impressed with the pictures of what you've done. But right now I can tell I'm itchin' to squeeze the trigger. But we'll see where this leads.

I have a friend who is into traditional archery. He talks about doing this thing where you build a bow using nothing but materials you scavange and tools you make yourself -and then killing a deer with it. I don't know the details, but I definitely see the appeal. Killing a deer with no help from Cabelas, LL Bean, or Bass Pro Shops certainly seems like an achievement. I can see where doing something similar with a muzzleloader would be fun. (And since my bourgeois middle-class lifestyle leaves me with so much free time . . .)

Ben

Good luck to you Ben. Awhile back I picked up a book at a garage sale on making traditional bows and arrows. That's something else I want to try some day...

Scott

Dixie Gun Works has several rifles that come with a conversion from caplock to flintlock. They advise buying the caplock version then a conversion kit. :winking:
They are a bit more expensive than Midsouth, but it might solve your indecision. :v

Get a flinter :thumbsup: ! The first gun I have ever fired in my life is a second-hand .54 Mortimer flintlock I bought from Track this spring and I love it! It took me about 15 shots (over 3 or 4 sessions) to get the hang of it but now that I have worked out all the idiosyncracies of my particular gun, I am having an awesome time shooting it. This forum was indispensable too. Every little trick I know, I learned here. Thanks, guys!

Ben, I'll say one thing to ya. Whatever gun you choose, welcome to the mother of all addictions! Muzzleloading is way beyond just another fun hobby or pastime. It's an all consuming passion. If it isn't, then you didn't breath in enough smoke yet. Enjoy! :)

BigBadBen said:
On that note I was looking at the Uberti Santa Fe Hawken. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they worth the $499? I've read some nice things about them. Does anyone know what the twist rate is?

I don't know about the new Santa Fe Hawkins, but I have had one of the older ones for about 20 years. It shoots very well after all the lead pushed through it. It has filled the freezer with elk more than a few times.

If the new ones are as well built as the older ones it is definitly worth the price.

Thanks for all the folks who helped me out on this thread. I thought I should let you know that this has evolved to the next step. Last night I ordered the Lyman GPR in .54 cal flintlock. I went back and forth about the flint vs. percussion thing. In the end I decided that I was doing this because I really wanted to shoot an old-time traditional gun. So why not go all the way (bearing in mind that I'm not quite ready for a matchlock).

Plus, as a kid my grandparents had an old flintlock hanging over their fireplace. I've always wanted to shoot one. Now I can.

I'll keep ya'll posted on how I do.

Ben

Back