• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

advice on sights, please...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it works, USE IT! My concern about fuzzy edges comes from these large blobs of plastic stuck on a post. There are some very small sites in better colors( than white!) available now, and as I have noted on this subject in the past, the ones now that come encased in a metal tube, with a cut in the top of the tube to let light into the plastic sight are the ones I recommend on rifles, shotguns, and handguns. You can see the sights down to the lowest available lighting conditions, but because the plastic sight is surrounded by a black pipe(tube), the edges are NOT FUZZY at all! I have come to prefer the GREEN sights for a wider variety of shooting conditions, than white, or gold, or blaze orange.

Someone told me they now have a blue sight out, but I have not seen one in person, and would have my doubts about choosing that color, other than if all your hunting is done in snow-covered terrain. There is just not enough CONTRAST with a blue sight for most hunting conditions.

I had a chance to get to the range this a.m., and I have to tell you, I tried out my home-made black paper eye patch taped inside my glasses with a tiny hole punched in the middle: it worked OUTSTANDING.
I'm saying this for folks that come along after this, that wonder how looking through a tiny hole is going to make that target sharp: it DOES.

That "Merit" eye piece mentioned on this thread is really the way to go, now that I know the concept works.
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions!

You are obviously too young to remember making " Pin-hole " cameras.

Glad to find that you tried out the system, and found it works. A lot of people will ask for advice, and then never try out these " Old " ways. :thumbsup:

When moving your rear sight forward do you find a combination of a dark rear sight with a wide notch and a brass or silver blade works best or a dark, iron or steel blade? Does a wider blade prove to be more visable? How far forward are you moving your rear sight. I've found, though not perfect, 12" to as far as 15" from the breech works best. Does a longer barrel with its greater radius provide a clearer sight picture?

I don't mind getting older but I really hate the price of admission when we get there...

John

Back