• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Africa - Finally

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kapow

45 Cal.
Reaction score
All my life I have dreamed of hunting lion. There isn't much change out of 50 (years) for me so I decided to make it happen. I can't afford to do a 21 day safari for the whole big five. But that's okay I got onto a fair chase hunt for wild resident lion that I can afford so have booked the hunt for next year, dates to be confirmed.

I will only be hunting for a lioness, but I am totally ok with that too. With the way that import laws are headed this may be my last chance at getting to fulfil this lifetime dream of mine so now is the time.

I will also have the opportunity to hunt other plains game whilst there such as warthog and springbok.

I will be taking my Lyman .54 GPR (nothing fancy) shooting Lyman Great Plains 450gn bullets over a wad and 100gn of FFg - my favourite load. Just been to the range to have a few shots and kept them all in the bull at 80m standing so am confident it will be the right medicine.

I hope in time to share this hunt with you all through text, photos and hopefully maybe video.

Back a few years ago before October Country changed hands, they made a double 8 bore percussion rifle. There was a hunter who took one to Africa and they had up a fine photo of him standing by a big male lion. In spite of serious tracking skills, Simba knew they were there and charged! The guy got off one shot that went in at nose and came out near tail base and that big ole kitty slid dead almost against his boots. Two thoughts.

1) Have a back up with a real cannon...those babies can really move and it doesn't take much to set them off! :thumbsup:

2) If he's going to slide to a stop that close to your toes...step aside and he'll another 1/4 mile in the brown stuff! :wink: :haha:

Good luck, wish I was going too!
http://www.gunweek.com/2001/feature0201.html

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was there (for plains game only), they were really picky about calibers they wanted you to use. They had me shooting everything from tin cans to ostrich eggs to make sure I could handle a gun. Many wealthy people just buy a gun and go ... because they can. But they are not familiar with their gun. So they treat everyone as if they were rookies until they find out.
Prepare to have a sore shoulder ... and good luck! :thumbsup:

That is really exciting, Kapow: a trip of a lifetime! Will look forward to hearing (and seeing photos) of your black powder African dream hunt!

that's awesome. Africa is on my bucket list too.

Can't wait to hear the story and see pics.

What arrangements have you make for powder while you're there?

Too much gets made of the hardships of buying powder in S.A. The outfitter has plenty of notice and opportunity to get some for me. They sell Wano there as well as percussion caps. I just need to take my projectiles. I hope I inspire some other traditional BP hunters to have a go. Stay tuned.

Kapow said:
I just need to take my projectiles.

Pessimist that I am, I would ship him a box or two now. Be nice to know he had everything in hand waiting for you.

Soak it all in, life is not measured in year....

Congrats on your upcoming hunt! It's great to see someone going to Africa using traditional blackpowder weapons. In regard to the lion, after watching a few videos where those things are coming in hard and fast, I fear I lack the intestinal fortitude to stand up to a lion charge! Those hunters who can stand cool and collected and deliver a killing shot when the lion is only mere feet away must have ice water in their veins! At any rate, I am happy for you and wish you every success.

Jeff

:thumbsup: Good for you, I have always wanted to hunt Africa for CAPE BUFFALO it may be in reach some day not just now. I would watch the movie GHOSTS IN THE DARKNESS, based on a true experience. Please either have some one back you with a large bore rifle as I am sure the P.H.will, and I would seriously consider some type of larger bore double. I hear the kittys are temperamental. Congratulations and looking forward to your hunt stories and pictures

Kapow, congratulations on taking action on your dream. It sucks to get to the far side of 60 and realize your bucket list is impossibly long. Sounds like you are aware of the powder and caps issue. Be aware I have heard of BP hunters arranging with their PH well ahead of time to have powder available, and the PH dropped the ball. I would definitely work on a plan B. Check PMs.

There is some excellent advice about safety here.

My advice is make sure you life insurance is paid up. Then read a bit of Shakespeare.

FEEBLE: By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once: we
owe God a death: I'll ne'er bear a base mind:
an't be my destiny, so; an't be not, so: and let it go which way
it will, he that dies this year is quit for the next. (I shortened it just a bit)

And by god enjoy your Lion Hunt like your name was already called!

The plan is to ship 20 projectiles to the outfitter. Also to confirm he has found and secured necessary powder and caps but also find a source for them in Jo'burg or Pretoria and pay for them in advance to be picked up by me on arrival. I may use a third back up of finding someone on whitesmoke who actually has some in possession to 'borrow' off. Can't really do much more than that.

Any left over I may leave with a whitesmoke member. Worry about that down the track. Now it's all about practice, practice, practice. I am aiming for a May hunt which will coincide with my birthday.

I would love to smack a big old warthog and stalk a springbok. Other candidates are baboon, hartebeest and waterbuck. Stuff I didn't get with my bow. Can't wait! I should get most of it on video too so may have to put together a dvd package.

Latest posts

Back