• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aging a belt axe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlbrant

32 Cal.
Reaction score
i am about to purchase a belt axe kit with a 4140 alloy head and ash handle (kit form). can someone tell me what process i would need to age the axe head (pitting and what ever else that makes it look like it is an 100 year old original)? also, what do i need to age the handle--spray paint black then stain and rub back?i do not want a shiny finish on the wood.
does the head need to be heat treated?

thanks for the info :v :v :v

I've never tried an Axehead before, but what "ages" metal pretty good is if you rub some Dark Mustard on it. (doesnt work on stainless steel) and for the handle, rubbing the finish off with a rougher 100 grit type sandpaper then making a few "used gashes" in it with your knife then stain it and it should turn out pretty well...
Just my .02

If the head is forged there is no need to further heat treat it. If is cast I would "bake it at 350-400 degrees" for about an hour, turn the oven off and let it cool. To Age it a good coat of navel jelly will leave it a nice "matte gray" For the handle I would recommend rubbing the wood with a rag and some brown or black shoe polish ( the paste type, not the liquid.) Then after getting the desired color use a few coats of clear or transparent polish. Remember to rub a lot, using little polish. You want to color the handle and seal the wood not make the handle too slick. If your handle seems too slick, try rubbing it with a small amout of course black pepper.

There is a good chance the head is not heat treated. Ask who you are buying it from. Whether to bother heat treating it or not might depend on what you will use it for, and how much you will use it. You can go here for HT info on 4140. http://www.diehlsteel.com/4140anld.aspx
As for ageing it, cold blue it, then submerge in Clorox bleach for 5 minutes. Clean it up with 400 grit wet&dry sand paper. Repeat if you want more pitting. Once you get the surface like you want it, cold blue again, then lightly sand the areas that would normally show use and wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back