• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

aging a knife blade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Shaw

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Scots dirk I put together from TOW parts a looong time back. The blade's gotta be Paki or maybe from India and is heavily polished or maybe even chromed. I have hit it with steel wool in the past without much effect. Anywhoo I would like for it to have a nice gray distressed look. Any ideas on how to remove the bright finish?

If in fact it is chromed nothing much else you can do except grind/file off that finish. If it's just polished you might want to try Naval Jelly or a product called EvapoRust. I used EvapoRust on my BP barrels and an old Bowie I have. Gives steel a really nice grey, aged steel appearance, at least to me. If you rinse it off with water it'll flash rust. I spray with WD-40 while it's still wet and it doesn't scale up.

According to the TOW catalog, it is high polished carbon steel. Sand it lengthwise with 400 or 320 grit paper to cut the polished surface away, then it should accept most any form of ageing you want to do.

Naval jelly is phosphoric acid. So, go easy unless you want a very aged (i.e. pitted) blade. Neutralize afterwards with a solution of baking soda and water.

Or, you could just use it. Cut up some potatoes, tomatoes, citric fruit, raw steak, etc. Blood and vegetables with natural acids can give a light patina, and the patterns that result from use look more realistic than some forced patinas.

Back