• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Alexander's first deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhett Griffith

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my eldest son, Alexander, on his first deer hunt last evening. He is eight years old and this is the first time he has been eligible to hunt deer in Oklahoma. He told me several weeks ago that he wanted to use my flintlock to shoot his first deer instead of using a centerfire rifle, so we have been spending a lot of time practicing with it.

We hunted out of a two-man ladder stand and started seeing deer as soon as we entered the woods. Several deer walked by between 150 and 50 yards away, but I told him to be patient and wait until they got closer. After about 45 minutes, two deer approached to within 25 yards. When one of them turned broadside at 12 yards, I whispered for him to shoot, and he put a .490 roundball right behind the shoulder. :thumbsup:

The deer trotted about 30 yards, stopped, and then fell over dead. We had been in the woods for less than an hour and Alexander had his first deer on the ground. To say that he was excited would be a gross understatement. I already dread getting the phone bill next month, after he got done calling everyone he could think of to tell them the news! :haha: We're all really proud of him!

DSC04698.jpg

DSC04697.jpg

(Something is wrong with the timestamp function on my digital camera, the actual date was 10/14/2011)

Man! thats great! :thumbsup: I'm still looking to my first deer with my flintlock! and it's been 3 years! Congradulations to the young man! :bow:

Swampy,

He does not yet have a hunting bag of his own. I am certain that he would appreciate the gesture very much!

Rhett

Yee Haa ! , for your boy . You must be equally as proud . I just started taking my 6yr old grandson out last yr as a tag along . He can't hunt yet , the state won't let him :idunno: :blah:

That is GREAT! Congratulations to you both! :applause:

Was the ladder stand so he could get high enough to load that rifle? :rotf:

Now he is gonna want his OWN rifle!

Back