• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ALL ML hunters....help needed immediately

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it kills deerlike it is ethical. The squirrels, turkeys and deer doesn't care about whith which gun is fired at them. As I told above is doesn't matter from which side the gun is loaded and if with bp or smokeless powder. The shot must be placed well with every gun.

Regards

Kirrmeister

I would suggest you find some different friends, you might point out to them that ballsiticaly within the range of an open bore gun your fowler is no different than a single shot open choke shotgun, the only unethical thing that could possibly occur is taking to long of a shot or useing very small shot at large birds,though most gane regs taks care of the latter. I find it amazing that a group of adults could be so ...ignorant, I was going to use "uninformed" but ignorant fit better.

I find it's not unusual to run into hunters who think that anyone who doesn't do it the way they do is being "unethical".

Generally you should just tell them to blow it out their you-know-what.

Ben

"Do you think it's ethical to hunt squirrels and turkeys with black powder?"
My immediate answer, thinking maybe someone misunderstood was: "It's a shotgun (I didn't try to get really involved with the technicalities of "fowler", etc, but anyway) it's not a rifle.
Response: "I didn't ask if it was legal; I asked why do you think it's ethical."

Ok, let's get something straight here. You were asked if you thought it was ethical to hunt squirrels and turkey with black powder. IMO, your answer should have been a simple "yes". Then if there are objections on his part he should voice them. He should be telling you why he thinks it's not ethical!!

He's out of line completely and has no right to put you on the defensive with the question of "I didn't ask if it was legal; I asked why do you think it's ethical." He needs to explain why he thinks it's unethical or shut the H**l up and live and let live!!

I would tell them that I am the kind of person who only does what I feel is ethical, and that I really dont give a rats a## what anyone else thinks. Case closed, move on.

Thanks guys. My answer, initially, was "absolutely", and we all moved on, with other things being discussed. I'm hoping the matter has become a dead issue and will pass, but if asked again, I will stick to my guns, pun intended.

Thanks again,
Hugh

hhughh said:
"...My answer, initially, was "absolutely", and we all moved on, with other things being discussed..."

Then what's with the alarmed tone of your thread's title...."NEED HELP IMMEDIATELY" ?

RB, the meeting didn't last all that much longer, and I came away feeling that I may be asked again---sooner rather than later. It's one of those things where some folks are never happy....etc...just really wanted to be prepared if they decided, wait----he didn't answer why....

Alot of BS, but frankly I still believe immediacy was called for. Sorry if I end up being proved inaccurate, but didn't mean to be out of line with my request.

Hugh

Therer ya go! Get yourself blackballed and that solves the whole thing. You could get a special shoulder patch with the club on it and a black ball over it! :haha:

The whole deal kind of confuses me. Here is Ohio, the only legal rifle for a deer is a ml'er. Shotgun slugs on modern guns or ml'ers are that are legal for deer, though rifled barrels for slug guns are legal.( I will never understand Ohio's laws on this, these slug guns are getting more range than 30-30's) Squirrels are not legally hunted in national forests with a rifle, must be a shotgun. Turkeys are hunted with shotgun only anywhere. I am not talking about archery in any of this, only firearms.What is their concern about ethisc? Hunting with an illegal tool? Now maybe in your state, maybe this is all a moot point as far as what is legal to use.

Sounds to me like these guys are a couple of clowns. I'd say ignore them as much as possible; they've got no right dictating what you use to hunt with. As long as it's legal, you're paying the same money as they are to hunt there, and they've got no right bossing you around.

Maybe in their hands it would be. But you, being a patient man and a good hunter, know to wait for the best opportunity with your limited range and "firepower".

If they doubt the "efficiency" of a single round ball of large caliber offer to tape a target on the door of their car and have at it at 60 yards. I bet they decline. ;-)

A hunter who plans on needing a second shot is planning to fail with the first or intending to have more shots available for rapid kills on multiple animals. THAT may be more unethical.

One good shot is better than five poor ones.

Stumpkiller said:
A hunter who plans on needing a second shot is planning to fail with the first...
That's a great quote, Stumpkiller! :thumbsup:

hhughh... I think what you're fellow club members are really trying to communicate is that hunting with a fowler is too great of a challenge for them, and you doing so successfully makes them look bad, so they want you to stop. :rotf:

Unethical? Maybe in the hands of a man who doesn't know how to use a fowler. But, how many "modern" shotguns and rifles are in the hands of your club members who don't really know how to use them ethically? :shake:

Just tell them that ethics are in the man, not in the gun.

Hello from Germany!

When starting to establish ML hunting in Germany I had the same probs with those ethical or in their eyes better hunters. They asked me the same questions, especially when they noticed that the german hunting law doesn't forbid the use of ML, with a ML you have more advantages here in Germany. First you need no gun permission, because single shots are free, when using a flinter you even need a gun carrying permission. You only need a bp permission and a hunting licence. And finally the minimum 100 meter energies in the law are only valid for rifled cartrideg guns.For all other guns like shotgun or ML no energy prescribed. I made the arguement of moral and ethic weak in the way that I showed them pics of my clean kills of roe deer with my .50 deerhunter and PRB.

My experience is that the "hunters" which are talking about ethic and moral are socalled sunday hunters in most cases or they belong to the group of hunting licence owners. You know the two groups:

There are hunting licences owners and hunters. Every hunter is a hunting licence owner, but not every hunting licence owner a hunter!!! :thumbsup:

Regards

Kirrmeister

Hi Hhughh! In ohio where i live, i've always hunted with a shotgun, deer and small game. It hasn't been that long ago that ohio allowed you to use muzzleloaders and revolvers. I've hunted with my muzzleloader for deer and my muzzleloading shotgun for small game. In all the history journals i've read about lewis and clark and the fur trappers that worked for hudson bay company, carried fowlers, and northwest trade guns. I don't understand what is unethical about the fowler.

Latest posts

Back