• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Almost turkey season....!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vthunter52

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Winter may just have buried us here in the Northeast, but working out in the woods today I stumbled onto a flock of healthy looking wild turkeys. Spring is upon us!
Have you already started your preseason turkey scouting?
What have you been doing to get ready for the upcoming spring season?
In advance of the season, good luck to all of you: gobble-gobble.

Just got notification in the mail on Saturday that I was drawn for turkey. In Minnesota you can buy over the counter for the later seasons, but if you want one up-front, you need to win in the draw.

I envy the hunters in those states that get more than a few days a year and opportunity for multiple turkeys though!

Already got my license & tags;
Already got permission renewed to hunt the little woodlot again;
Already have my 28ga Early Virginia turkey load dialed in to use this year;
Already have all the items I normally hunt with;
Just waiting for April 13th...
:wink:

In Alabama, when you get to age 65, all hunting and fishing is free, no license required. This will be my first freebie year. I am looking forward to the turkey season this year as I have a 12 ga, jug choked, English fowler flinter almost finished.

Eric Krewson said:
In Alabama, when you get to age 65, all hunting and fishing is free, no license required.
Same here as far as the license and tags being free...but we still have to GET and HAVE the free annual license & tags on us

Same here. I've had the free disabled license for years but we still have to purchase deer/turkey/bear license each year.

April 10 th for me....

Just trimming up the 10 ga. Fowler..:thumbsup:

Won't be long now!

Here in Georgia the season begins March 23 and you are allowed 3 gobblers, but hens are illegal.

Once you reach the "senior" age license are free. but you must obtain a free set of deer tags to hunt deer.

Eric Krewson said:
All you have to have here is proof of age, a drivers license is adequate.
Interesting...can understand the simplicity of proving age of course.
But North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission manages the wildlife through issuing a fixed # of numbered tags for deer (6), bear(1), turkey(2)...then recording / tabulating each tag as it's filled, by county, by type of weapon used, etc.

Each time I punch a numbered tag, I call it in to an automated 800 # (or use the Internet within 24hrs) and that tag # is associated with me / my license #, etc.

I've never been Turkey hunting, but this thread got me thinking that maybe I could use my .40 Southern rifle this year but I'm out of luck. Only blackpowder pistols are allowed, .40 cal and up, oh well.

roundball said:
Already got my license & tags;
Already got permission renewed to hunt the little woodlot again;
Already have my 28ga Early Virginia turkey load dialed in to use this year;
Already have all the items I normally hunt with;
Just waiting for April 13th...
:wink:

What load did you settle on?
Looking forward to the stories and photo's of the 28 gauge.

I haven't hunted in AL in about 3 years now,But when I hunted there unless you were on a WMA no record of kills were kept. The State bag limits were at least one deer per day and in most areas two or more per day. The turkey limits were less but I don't think they are tracked either. :idunno:

Just saw two blue birds in the front yard this morning. I don't know if they are suicidal or portend an early spring!!! Hope its not too early.
Robby

Here in georgia no kills of any animal except bears are tracked, you simply have a harvest record attached to your license and fill out when you get a deer. At the end of the season you just throw it away. The only deer harvest that is tracked by the DNR is on quota hunts on a WMA. There are no records of turkeys, or small game kills kept. The only other animal that I think is tracked is alligator.

Back