• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Am I the only one who doesn’t really care for carving on a rifle stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I put together a Woodsrunner kit a few months back. I ordered it with a carved cherry stock.
I have 7 muzzle loaders and it is the only one with carving on it.
I expected to be really thrilled with it but I just seem to like the plain stocks better.

Thanks to Bree at Kibler’s for finding me a Cherry stock with burl in it and it is on the way.

I

Attachments

• IMG_0538.jpeg
    IMG_0538.jpeg
    4.1 MB
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    424.5 KB
I put together a Woodsrunner kit a few months back. I ordered it with a carved cherry stock.
I have 7 muzzle loaders and it is the only one with carving on it.
I expected to be really thrilled with it but I just seem to like the plain stocks better.

Thanks to Bree at Kibler’s for finding me a Cherry stock with burl in it and it is on the way.

I
LOL !!! Funny you would mention this !! I build strictly trade guns ... Ive built a few rifles but just dont have the love for rifles like I do trade guns , esp. N.W. guns and Carolina Guns but ....funny thing , I can look at carving on a rifle , I can appreciate it and even marvel at it BUT .... I dont like it ! Just never appealed to me ! I thought I was the only one !! LOL ! :)

our own PathfinderNC I think it was stated, and i paraphrase, carving if done well looks good on a gun. but most can't do good carving.
I have never carved a gun stock before the current one i am just finishing.
before i saw the light and was born again as a muzzle loader builder i built some modern custom rifles. I checkered for 60 years and couldn't say how many rifles and hand guns i have scratched up.
never any relief carving at all.
long way of saying i would appreciate PathfinderNC's true opinion of the carving i just did. growth is stimulated by rain so you all are welcome to ah, wet on my carving!
I neither dislike carving or am infatuated with it. it was fun doing.
not trying to hijack OP thread but thought this would fit. if i am out of line let me know and i will delete this.
I have cleaned it up a bunch but haven't taken any before and after pictures.
20240906_125717.jpg
20240906_125656.jpg
20240906_125651.jpg

Back