• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another cap question......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustydean

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have always been under the impression that the difference
between a #10 & a #11 cap was the amount of energy they
produced. Is there supposed to be a difference in dimensions
between the two? I have always used # 11 caps on all my stuff, but sometimes found them too large on some nipples.
Should I be using # 10 caps on those units?

My rifles take a #11 cap and my black powder revolver uses a #10 cap. Some nipples I find are different and that is why the cap seems to fit loose on one rifle and hard on another.....

The dimensions for the cap sizes are:

No. 10
Inside diameter - .160 to .165 inch
Height - .16 to .20 inch

No. 11
Inside diameter - .17 to .18 inch
Height - .20 to .24 inch

No. 12
Inside diameter - .178 to .193 inch
Height - .17 to .21 inch.

I'm not sure if No. 12 caps are still made. I saw them made by Remington a few years ago, and it surprised me. In the past, No. 12 caps were almost exclusively used on very large revolvers like the Colt Walker and Dragoons --- original and some reproductions.
There may be some rifles with nipples that take No. 12 caps.

As you can see, there are wide variations between manufacturers. This is why it behooves you to buy a tin from each manufacturer from the beginning, then determine which fits best.
All modern caps are non-corrosive. The old caps were corrosive. Modern black powder remains corrosive, as it has always been.

Dixie Gunworks catalog gives the following information about the diameter and length of caps. It also points out that there are no "industrial standards" so different brands vary somewhat.
Dixie gives these sizes by brand name and some of the brands are no longer available.
I did note that in the #11 sizes the RWS are the longer .220 and Remington were .190 length.
:imo: That can make seating the RWS a little harder because the mouth of the cap will be contacting the nipple cone .030 further down than the Remington would.
Because the cone is tapered, it is a larger diameter further down and this can make the cap difficult to install to its full depth.

#10 .167 diameter X .178 length

#11 .170-.175 diameter .190-.220 length.

#12 .178 diameter X .190-.195 length

Although a human hair is only about .003 in diameter, that little bit can make a lot of difference in how a cap fits the nipple diameter.

They didn't list CCI in the table. :(

Don't know whar you got that Idea,and for Goodness sakes don't spread the rumor no more!
,,,but there is little to nun difference tween #10 and #11 as far as "energy". It's the SIZE of the cap! And the SIZE/shape/fit of the nipp for the firearm.
10's generaly fit pistole and revolver. 11's generaly fit rifles/smoothies,,,
Now,, this is not to argue weather Remington 10s' or 11s' are better than CCI 10s' or 11s',,or CCI MAG,, or RWS 10s' or 11s' and/or/are--which is/are "hotter/better". It's simpley--

#10 caps fit #10 nipples.
#11 caps fit #11 nipples.

Thanks for the info. It's off to my favorite gun store for some # 10's. Thanks again! :master:

Back