• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Another stupid question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have decided to get a smoothbore. Since I only have about $750 to work with I will have to get a gun from either Loyalist Arms or Middlesex Villiage.

I dug out some of the few reference books I still have and the 1728 Bess seems to be the leading candidate for me - But, I like the 1728 French Musket also - but I don't have any references on french guns or not many and none show this particular model - As I have said before the Bess' I have shot have slammed me in the cheek pretty good - but the French guns have not - and just from the pictures - the stock shape isn't too much different from the Tulle's I owned.

Of the Bess guns - I kinda like the shortened ranger type weapon - mostly because 46" barrel is a lot of steel to be packing around. I have read the problems with the india made guns - I have had to harden frizzen's before - and I am pretty good at polishing up a lock if all it needs is polishing.

So, I am leaning towards the following order

1. Ranger type Bess
2. Long Land Bess
3. French Musket 1728

But, if I can get some references that the 1728 French gun is PC to upper to middle colonies - based on the what it looks like I will get that one - just because I love to shoot and don't like paying for it everytime I pull the trigger.

As always - just when I thought I had made up my mind - something pops up and I start to re-think things. One of the things that I have really thought of - since I haven't ordered it and I am researching the virginia rifle extensively.

If I really like the musket - are there gunsmiths that can really tune the locks that you could recommend? It seems to me that if I can get a musket to shoot acceptably well (8 of 10 shots on an 8" target at 75 yds) I will save myself about $1000 on a new rifle - which I can use to outfit my wife and children and really start making this a family hobby.

I have always loved the smoothbore as my trekking arm - many times foregoing a great shooting rifle for the versatility of the smooth gun - and I practice, practice, practice with all the guns I own.

Keith

Go with the Long land Bess, if it's too much saw it off a little :haha: I have a 1717 Frenchy from them and it kicks my face too,basic same butt stock.A musket has to be shot different from a rifle.That long land is a hoot with the bayonett stuck on the end too,Mighty scary lookin.
I shoot a LL Bess as my primary long arm so I may be a bit bais.

To what purpose will this smoothbore be put? will you be reenacting as a member of a specific military unit, or just getting started in rendezvousing?

IMHO, there are better quality, more appropriate guns for a general civilian persona than those you mentioned.

Check out Early Rustic Armes. They make a decent gun at a decent price, and you cash stays in the good old U.S.

IMHO, They have several guns in your price range that will fit a civilian or militiaman better than a military arm.
[url] http://www.earlyrusticarms.com/pricesanddescriptions.htm[/url]

I suspect that either the barn gun, Cumberland fowler, or militia musket should suit your needs very well. IMHO, I would spring another $25 for for the steel buttpiece on the barn gun, if you should choose that gun.
J.D.

Last edited by a moderator:
KHickam said:
mostly because 46" barrel is a lot of steel to be packing around.
Once you get used to a 46 inch barrel though, it's hard to go back to a shorter length. When I grab a 38 incher now I feel like I'm packing a Hawkins.

There's not enough long guns in the world.

My question is what is wrong with the 1777
French ETIENNE INFANTRY Musket? It is nicely shaped in the Buttstock so as to Not smack yer face........I have one and LOVE Her!

I think the gentleman is looking for something for the F&I period if there is a French 1777 it would be to late if you meant the 1717 there was another post on that gun and it is difficult to find docum to put it in the colonies also the Indian versions are lacking the front iron strap on the stock as far as authenticity is concerned.

" since I haven't ordered it and I am researching the virginia rifle extensively."

I have one of the Chambers Virginia smoothrilfes they are great, one cannot docum the particular style to theF&I but they are usually accepted as what an early rifle of that period would likely look like, whenever we get into rifle the dateing is a problem going back that far unless you are willing to use what we have (1761) and some guns Schumway and others think could go back to the 1740-50 period and use them as guidelines.

If your handy...
You might want to take a gander at Loyalist arms "specials section" I purchased a 1 st model bess kit that was advertised as having a small crack near the buttplate, after finishing and proofing she is great

Rob

KHickam said:
I have decided to get a smoothbore. Since I only have about $750 to work with I will have to get a gun from either Loyalist Arms or Middlesex Villiage.
But, if I can get some references that the 1728 French gun is PC to upper to middle colonies - based on the what it looks like I will get that one - just because I love to shoot and don't like paying for it everytime I pull the trigger.
As always - just when I thought I had made up my mind - something pops up and I start to re-think things. One of the things that I have really thought of - since I haven't ordered it and I am researching the virginia rifle extensively.
I have always loved the smoothbore as my trekking arm - many times foregoing a great shooting rifle for the versatility of the smooth gun - and I practice, practice, practice with all the guns I own.

Keith

If you go with the musket, get the Long Land Pattern musket. That is the best of the musket choices for the middle colonies.

However since you talk of trekking rather than a full military presentation, go with the common smoothbore of the middle colonies and get the English Fowler. These are much lighter and easier to carry while trekking than one of those 10 to 12 pound muskets. The cost for a quality musket from ERA or TVM will be only slightly more than a Loyalist Arms or MSV musket. These guns often have a better archetecture for the lock and are easier on flints. By the way, get the brass furniture.

I have a Jack Garner built fowler that I much prefer to the Long Land Pattern Bess for the times when I go out on a short scout.

Keith,

I am not sure if this is a strech or not but it is a really good deal that might work

SEE

[email protected]
For Sale: 62 cal. smoothbore centermark tulle: curly maple stock, brass hardware, 42" barrel - $650.00 Pictures available.

That is a good deal on a French Fusil, one must still come up with a story about the maple stock if PC is high on the list of things that must be, a well made fusil at that price probably won't last long before someone grabs it.

Sorry,

I forgot about the wood thing.

Just figured for that kind of a deal, you could come up with a story.

Hell, if you had to you could paint the stock black.

Just seems to me the quality of a Centermark is better than an Indian import.

TG- You are the man that can probably answer another question I have.

Please see my post under 'Generel Reenacting'

See "Another stupid question" there.

Thanks

Back