• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antelope question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you guys have any suggestions for hunting antelope with a 45 or 50 cal Hawken? Something Ive been wanting to do for a while.

pronghorn.jpg

Took this buck with my .54 cal. longrifle, at about 70 yards. I would use the .50 if I was you, more it has more hitting power at the end of it's range.
I got this one while sitting in my truck eating lunch. A whole herd ran down the fence on the opposite side of the road, crossed it, the does stayed next to the fence, and two bucks went under the fence on my side. I got out of the truck, walked slowly to the fence on my side of the road, ducked under, and whils still laying on the ground, the buck snorting at me, (as if he was going to scare me) and the rifle boomed. Ball went through both shoulders and lodged in the skin on the opposite side.
Be patient!!

I have a friend that lives in Colorado Springs. Can you suggest a good area or unit in that part of the state?

I would think your biggest challenge would be getting close enough for either of those calibers to be effective. I know when I was out there after "Goats" I never saw one under 100 yards out. Not sayin you can't get closer, it just wasn't happening when I hunted them.

My thought on that is . . .
Bowhunters do it every year. Bowhunting was my first love but due to lots of hard work I cannot draw the bow anymore. This is where traditional muzzleloading is stepping in.

TH

Your right Archers do it all the time. Here is the but. But they also hunt in August and early September. Here in Idaho the ML hunts start the middle of Sept and go on into Oct. This normally is the time we have more moisture like Rain and even snow. Once the rain starts or snow, getting close enough for a shot gets tougher.
Look for hunts that are as early as you can find. Then look for odds to draw a tag and look for success. IF you want to get around all the do it your self I know a lot of guys hunt private land for a fee or hire guides. Idaho has some good hunts and it also have some terrible hunts. I have heard that New Mexico has some outstanding ML antelope hunts. Here is mine and a friend of mine from last year here in Idaho. Ron

9-25-10Lsmall.jpg

JohnsbuckA.jpg

AntelopefinishedAsmall.jpg

Those are awesome Ron! I have heard about a trespass tag. I don't know that I would want to travel that far to hunt. But thanks anyway.

Here in Wyoming I Hunt with a ML during the regular rifle season. Some of the best hunting is on public lands. Antelope hunting starts in August thru Sept. I never hunt in the special Antelope only areas.

Redwing, in Wyoming you can buy extra doe licenses for $25, I think. What are the fine points on that, do you just buy a nonresident license and then the extra doe tags?

tryinhard said:
I have a friend that lives in Colorado Springs. Can you suggest a good area or unit in that part of the state?

There will probably be leftover tags for antelope for muzzleloading season. Check the Division of Wildlife website in mid August. Leftovers will be souteast of the Springs, most of it on public land. To hunt nearer to the Springs, you may have to wait until next year. Not much public land near the Springs, but some of the ranchers will let you hunt.

The closest I have ever killed an antelope was 15 yards, my wife killed one at about 8 yards. Find a good place to hide, near water if possible. Patience will pay off. Just don't move about once you get your hide. Get into the hide before daylight.

Another choice is to use your muzzloader during regular rifle season, which comes first. Antelope are good eating, and must be in the cooler as quick as possible, like an hour after the shot. Don't do that, and they are as bad as old liver.

Herb, extra doe and fawn permits can be bought at half price by Non-Rez hunters. These permits are sold over the counter in areas of the hunt. The best way to find these tags is to check the Wyoming Game and Fish web site after the 2011 tags are issued. The 2011 tags will be issued after June 1st 2011. You should check hunt area 95 as this is all public lands and near Vernal, Utah.

A note on the Gillett, Wyoming hunt areas. While eastern Wyoming has some very good hunting, be aware it is mostly private lands. You can expect to pay Trepass fees in many places in eastern Wyoming. Should you prefer public lands look at areas west of Casper. Should you prefer a more primitive hunt look at areas in the Red Desert around "Adobe Town" areas 54, 57.

I got mine last year right around 100 yards with my .54 GPR, 75 grains 2FF PbB. I hunt the regular rifle season just north of Pinedale, WY. I recommend Wyoming for one but a place with topography to increase your chances for getting close enough for a shot. I had to belly crawl for an hour or so, luckily she was bedded down and I had the wind. Or if you get a buck tag, try a decoy and a white flag.

Back