• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anti-seize

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootera3

Pilgrim
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons of using an anti-seize on drum and nipple threads. Did anyone ever try this.

shootera3, Using antisieze on anything that may need to be removed at some point is a good idea. My self I put anti sieze on all my breech plugs when I do up a new barrel. I also use antisieze on my drums nipples and lock and tang screws. The breech puug and drum may never need to be pulled but I do it just to be safe, on the screws and nipples these will be removed from time to time. I like to have a clean lubed lock and a clean nipple is a must in my opnion. I know some folks that claim to never remove or do a good cleaning on it. I rarely have a misfire and I think a clean lock and nipple goes a long way in preventing said misfires. I recommend you use antisieze. yours hounddog

I use antiseize on stuff that may need to be removed some day, but isn't removed regularly. This would include a breech plug, drum, and vent/touchhole liner. For stuff that would be removed with every cleaning (such as a nipple) I coat the threads with Bore Butter because that is what I use as a storage lube on the rest of the gun.

I use it on nipp's and the cleanout screw if the gun has one.
I doesn't take much at all,, care needs to be taken to not get any in the flash channel.
A touch with the tip of a tooth pick is plenty and does wonders for easy removal later.

p.s. I use Permatex, the stuff is rated to 1400 degrees, use it on the ball molds too. I've used the same tube now for 12 years at least and there's still more than half left.

I've used it for years on nipple and clean-out screw. Just a smidgen will do yuh! :grin:

Antiseize is magickal stuff, Just open the can, and you will have the stuff on your nose or face some how. BJH

All you have to do is NOT use it and you will learn the "cons". Makes the "pros" self explanatory. :thumbsup:

shootera3 said:
What are the pros and cons of using an anti-seize on drum and nipple threads. Did anyone ever try this.

No. There's no need for such stuff. If you're cleaning properly the nipple will come out just fine. A small drop of oil on the threads is more than enough and it shouldn't be cranked in hard to start with. And the drum shouldn't be removed to start with unless as part of a repair. The more you screw that thing in and out, especially if you crank it really tight, the more you stretch the threads and before long you won't be able to align the nipple with the hammer without using a washer and you'll start getting leakage.

I think too many people are making the shooting and maintenance of MLs way more complicated than what they should be.

Trouble with a small "drop" of oil is it can spread into the fire channel, it's viscous.

But too each their own, :wink:

Never a misfire! :thumbsup:

But I don't glob a big bunch on there either. Just a touch and let it run around the threads.

I use antisieze on all breech plugs and vent liners. For nipples on cap guns I just use a small drop of oil. For me it is a simple question of time until (if ever ) I'll remove it , that determines which I use. :idunno: :idunno:

Anti-seize the greatest thing since sliced white bread.

It will keep things where they move no matter if you clean properly or you happen to forget or miss something.

They make an automotive brand that has copper in it and looks with a browned barrel! :haha:
Seriously after I found out what it was I never turn anything that may be exposed to corrosion of any kind without it! :thumbsup:

The only word of caution a little dab will spread half way around the world, but that is why it is gooooooooooood stuff! :wink:

I remove the nipple and clean out screw if the gun has one every time I clean the rifle. I use a little breech plug grease on both before I put them back in. Clean out screws will become permantly attached if you fail to do this.

I'd bet if there was such a thing as the anti-seize we have now back in the old days, they would have used it in a heartbeat! :grin:

From what I have heard from oldtimers that I listened to their grandfathers' just used a little beeswax! It seems beeswax was the cureall of the day. It also sealed powder horns, mixed with varuous fats and oils for patch lube, and even acted as a "glass bedding" to fill inleting gaps. :idunno: :idunno:

I've used Gorilla Grease for years and it works fine. I picked up something called "Breech plug grease" the other day - I'm not against trying new stuff - and used it on the vent liner for the first time when I cleaned my rifle. It should also do well.

Hi , recently had to take the breech plug out of a cheap spanish gun 3 turns and I could move it no further so I decided it may as well go back in and it could stay in the condition it was but one and a half turns back in and it wouldn't go any further back in , now what to do , couldn't shoot it like that , so it had to come out .. Well after a lot of sweating and straining I got it out , it had been put in dry and the galled thread was completely stripped off of the plug ,but by luck the thread in the barrel was ok ( metric ) , ment I now had to make a new plug , drum , and nipple ...If you don't use anti seize you could go down the same route :nono: .. kiwi2

B.Habermehl said:
Antiseize is magickal stuff, Just open the can, and you will have the stuff on your nose or face some how. BJH

Ain't that the durn truth,,,it even gets on the dog, kids, and the cat. not neccassarily in that order. So far the goldfish has been safe...

Latest posts

Back