• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Antler powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mazo kid

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, after reading and looking at photos of some excellent work here, I decided to try my hand at making some measures. Harder than it looked! The two bird head carved measures were started some 14-15 years ago and I decided to try to finish them up, along with getting some experience at making some smaller ones. I have found different ways of doing things and I have a couple of ideas for some different designs, so hope to improve my work a bit. Thanks for looking!
Antlermeasures.jpg

lookin' good! Hey! I've got an eagle head about like that one that was a limb end on a long bow I made. I've been trying to figure out what I could use it for.....

S.kenton said:
GOOD looking work! What did ya use to stain em? I like the eagles head.
Thanks, I used Rit dark brown liquid dye. I think I left them in the dye too long, will try shorter times next time around.

It looks like antler powder measure making is just like everything else on this forum, you make one and then you have to make 5 more. Another addiction. They look nice.

Thanks for the kind comments. I know I have a ways to go, but we all have to start someplace! At least they all work. I have picked up a few pointers and am now ready to try my hand at some other measures....in a little while. Other projects have popped up, and SWMBO always gets first dibs on my time. :rotf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice Mazo., I'm working on my first antler powder measure. What tool did you use to hollow out the antler?

Look good from this end.
Except I would have left undyed. Antler ages very nicely on it's own from use.
If you really want to age just rub on some Neatsfoot oil. Helps preserve and looks nice.

I don't know how he does his, but I hollow mine out by steps. First I drill out as much as I can with a common twist drill.Then I "creep" out to the edge with the dremel. If the horn has a lot of curve I use a flatened and bent heavy wire heated with a tourch to burn out the center following the curve. Slow but it will allow you to follow the curve. ( DO THIS OUTSIDE WITH THE WIND BLOWING AWAY FROM SWMBO! :surrender: ) :idunno:

Clique LeBoom said:
Very nice Mazo., I'm working on my first antler powder measure. What tool did you use to hollow out the antler?
Pretty much as Ohio Ramrod stated. I didn't show pictures of the couple where the drill made an unexpected exit! :redface:

Those look great. I am fixin to try my hand at making some. Hope they turn out as good as yours.

another project I've been ponderin' on, but haven't dared attempt. mostly worried about what the diameter of the antler should be to start with, and how to get the size measure I'm lookin' for. any suggestions?? :thumbsup: eiither way I hope my work comes out half as good as yers, I'd be happy with that!

Back