• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any authentic peepsight designs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbelding

36 Cal.
Reaction score
My eyes are getting old, a peep sight would be nice. I know that crossbows had them, also Arab muzzleloaders and I believe some European wheel locks. Does anyone have an authentic 'period' design for the flintlock or preflintlock era?? I stopped by the Smithsonian and they didn't have one.

------------

Flintlock, round ball and black powder - Life is sweet.

Notice on powder container -"Be certain no embers are smoldering in the barrel before loading", so I ALWAYS blow down the barrel after firing. Its easier than wet swabbing each time.

I forget which museum this is in, but it is labeled as "1670".

1670-PeepSight.jpg

This simple trype would have been the norm in the 18th/early 19th cenyuiyr I do not know anyone who makes a truely period type one for the 18th century there are some for the 19th century probably post 1840 I suspect.Todays offering are pretty sophisticated and of a modern tech design compared to the old ones, but at times one must trade PC/HC off to keep shooting/hunting it is just a part of the game.I do not think anypne looks down at folks who go modern for this type of reason, doing it just to make your gun shoot more accurate like a modern gun is another story.

I have noticed several cone peep sights on matchlocks and snaphaunces at Jamestown, Williamsburg, and the Massachussetts Historical Society. These cone sights were mounted on the flash guard which extended from the rear of the pan. I can't imagine how they adjusted them, if at all.

Dang. I have been searching all over the internet and didn't remember that this forum already excellently discussed this subject until I saw your picture.
To summarize what I've found so far -
Peep sights were common on cross bows and after about 1840, on muzzle loaders. In between, jaeger rifles in the 18th century used 'diopters', which from the dictionary is simply a peep sight with a very small hole, for target shooting. Your pic apparently shows a diopter sight(?) as part of the rear sight, the holes appear too small for hunting. I would really appreciate learning book titles, magazine articles, etc which have 17th-18th cent. rifles with peep/diopter sights.

--------

Flintlock, round ball and black powder - Life is sweet.

Notice on powder container -"Be certain no embers are smoldering in the barrel before loading", so I ALWAYS blow down the barrel after firing. Its easier than wet swabbing each time.

In the weapon museum in Delft ( The Netherlands )
Is a large collection of matchlock rifles ,
the Visser collection , several with a peepsite on it.
Moostly a simple tube (diameter 6/8 mm) with halfway a small hole , witch is the actual peepsite.
I gives a very good contrast at the frontsite and the target.
I think it can be found on the internet , look at : wapenmuseum Delft
Hope this wil help

Back