• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

any info on the shennadoah by traditions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
folks been looking for a long rifle
to add to my stable of arms
I have CVA ky rifle pedersli sp ( smooth bore)brown bess 75 cal
and several 45 cal pistols single shots
wanted to know if anyone had in insight on this shennadoah rifle in 50 cal flintlock with double set triggers and is made by traditions good bad indifferent i just shoot for fun wanted to have an out of the box rifle while i search for a long rifle kit to do this coming winter

I've looked at those rifles as well, but have not bought one yet. How do you like that DP brown bess? I would like to get one of those as well, but my want list is bigger than my wallet. I'd certainly like your feedback on that DP brown bess.
BlueDuck

claude the dicussion on the bess is taken elsewere i jsut wanted folks to know what i have to shoot and what i like
I bought two guns i thougth i like and now hopefuly i cansell and or trade them off for ones i do like these are nice shooting guns but not as enjoyable as my other guns
to the rest of you thanks much for yoru input

I had one for a few years, and I had an awful time with it. The lock wasn't engineered correctly, and it wouldn't fire reliably enough for me. If I put the flint "bevel up" it wouldn't open the frizzen...if I put the flint "bevel down" it would open the frizzen, but the sparks flew in front of the pan. The frizzen didn't seem hard enough either...I rarely got a good shower of sparks. However..it was accurate when it decided to fire.

My shenandoah flinter is a real fun gun to shoot and is going to the deer woods with me this year.
TBONE

I've been an avid shooter (mostly rifles, but some handgun and skeet & trap shotgun-reload for all three) for the past 50+ years and have just recently gotten into black powder rifles.

I've had my Traditions Shenandoah FLINTLOCK for several months now... and have shot about 200 patched balls (1½ boxes of Hornady .50 caliber swagged balls & about 50 cast balls-both .490" with a .015" denim patches) using fairly light loads (aka "target loads") of both Goex FFFg and Swiss FFFg black powder.

I started out using black English flints (bevel up) and recently bought a dozen white flints from Rich Pierce. The first Rich Pierce flint only lasted about 30 shots and fractured badly.

I installed a 2nd Rich Piece flint with the bevel down and just yesterday, I shot about 20 shots with very little visible wear on the flint's leading edge. Rich's flints throw a good shower of sparks... as much or perhaps slightly more sparks than the black English flints I was using.

There may have been an unseen fracture in the first flint 'cause the 2nd one is showing very little wear so far whereas the first flint fractured & began breaking up after only a few shots and went downhill from there.

Rich Pierce seems like a very earnest, honest guy... and surprised me by sending an extra (free) flint with my first order of a dozen 5/8ths inch flints... his policy is to do that if you order "small flints" (5/8ths inch)... a happy surprise... and his price for a dozen flints was only $10 plus $1.50 postage. Service is fast & he sends the flints and an invoice. He's a very trusting soul.

Butttt... back to the Shenandoah...

It's a beauiful looking rifle. The wood on my rifle was very nice... well figured walnut with a very "hard" finish that really resists nicks and scratches.

As far as "negatives" go, I feel they don't put enough "drop" in the butt-stock which makes sighting the rifle a task in that one must slide their head further back on the stock (towards the butt) than one would normally put their cheek in order to be able to align the front and rear sights on the target.

But with a bit of "contortion", I was finally able to get a reasonably "comfortable" position on the stock. However, I'd much prefer more "drop" on the stock.

The sights are "ok", but I'd prefer sights that are more "squared-off" (notchy)... i.e., squared off rather than the tall, thin front sight and the very narrow opening in the rear sight and a very small "flat" notch inside the rear sight with which one must align the top edge of the front sight. While it might not be "traditional" for this type of flint-lock rifle, the sights would be easier to align... and aligned more quickly if they was "squared-off" more.

The adjustment for the set trigger is excellent... yielding as "light" a set trigger for which one could wish with a smooth, crisp "let-off" and no creep.

I've had a bit of unreliable ignition due to burnt powder "clinkers" building up in the flash-channel & blocking it, but I cured that problem by "unbending" and running a paperclip all the way into the flash-channel AFTER EACH SHOT which breaks the "clinkers" up into fine dust so they won't block or interfere with the next shot's ignition from the frizzen pan. This use of the paper clip (so far) seems to have eliminated the fairly numerous "hang-fires" or lack-of-ignition I was getting. Thus, accuracy improved once this problem was over-come.

The "flash-hole pick" I bought is too "fat" to reach all the way into the flash-channel... or I'd use it.

I feel that, for the money, the Tradition's Shenandoah is a reasonably good value, but I really don't care for their sights or the lack of enough "drop" in the stock... i.e., it's a good "starter's rifle", but I can now more fully understand why so many (here and at other black powder forums) suggest a custom or semi-custom-made Long Rifle rather than a factory-made Long Rifle.

I'm still trying to find a consistent "accuracy load", but I've begun to get some pretty good, inter-locking 3-shot groups using 38-45 grains of FFFg Goex and, since I've switched to Swiss, 30-32 grains of FFFg Swiss.

I still haven't done anything about a "hunting load" yet, but am guessing it will be in the 80-90 grain area using FFFg Swiss... and November is still a few months away.

I've moved from Goex to Swiss black powder because of my relatively short barrel (33½ inches) vs. 40-42 inch barrels found on most Pennsylvania Long Rifles which will burn the FFg better... as well as burn greater quanities of either FFg or FFFg black powder more completely and I understand the Swiss powder produces slightly greater velocity for a given amount of powder as opposed to the Goex using the same amount of powder.

However, I haven't chronographed loads with either powder yet, so that may be one of the many "old wives tales" that seem so common in many posts in the muzzle-loader/black powder forums.

Anway, that's my "2¢" concerning the Tradition's Shenandoah... and my experience with my Shenandoah so far in the few months I've been shooting it.

Eventually, I will probably end up with a custom-made or semi-custom made Pennsylvania Long Rifle if I can find one at a price I can afford and light enough (under 8 pounds and prefer one closer to 7 pounds) for my use, needs & preferences.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

wow ron mine will be here next week and i cant wait to take it to the range and see what i find
I know there better rifle out there and i have one that is top notch but wanted on that did not cost me an arm and leg to get into in adding anohter rifle to my collection

I have a Shennadoah and a Crockett, both by Traditions. I had constant problems with both locks and replaced them locks from L&R. They are both great shooting guns now. I guess we can say they have great barrels but not so great locks.

well got my rifle today what a piece of junk fit and finish is very poor double set trigger jam up and dont work well when they do trip hammer wont stay on first click or second click I think i save up some more and get a much better rifle
ram rod ends loose picutre inthe catalongs show it witha patch box realy dont care for one but this one doesnt frizzen is raw sinn steel rest is it is blues so much its black in color
so eager to get it and take it to the range now i cant wait to get it shipped back
guess its ok for the price but for me im not happy with it

Buzz...

I'm sincerely sorry to read about the problems you've had with your Shenandoah.

After reading some of the other comments in this thread, I am wondering if my decision to buy a Traditions Shenandoah was a good one. :hmm:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron hope your luck is better then mine
im moreold school in my arms and what realy though started me worng was the sterile modern gun feel and it went down hill from there
and fast
also im not to found of the other new production BP gun i bought either but i shot it so i selling it used and taking the hit its a nice gun just not right for me
I going to turn away from productions guns and take the time to do a kit gun

Buzz...

I don't blame you for feeling as you do. If I could afford a custom-built long rifle, that would be the way I'd go, too. But at a recent visit to Friendship in June, I found the custom builder's rifles I really liked were $2500 and up... 'way to rich for my wallet !~!~!

And so... I opted for the Traditions Shenandoah @ $500. If I ever win the lottery, then maybe I'll get a custom-built Pennsyvania Long Rifle (a late Lancaster) too. :surrender:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron i looking at kits for under $600 I biult a few with my dad 25+ years ago and think i do one by myself POPs said he would help if i got stuck heheheh

Actually you can get a splendid but basic custom rifle for about double that or around $900-$1000. TVM ([email protected]) can build one to your build & specifications. There are also completed rifles out there for a reasonable price; just have to look around.

Hanshi...

At this point, after buying the Shenandoah plus all the accessories and equipment necessary to shoot black powder rifles, my ONLY choice is to "live-with-it"... i.e., "live" with my decision to buy and use the Tradition's Shenandoah.

But that's not an "all-bad thing"... the Shenandoah is a fine looking rifle and I'm slowly learning all its "demands" such as using an unbent paperclip to clean out the burnt chunks of powder it tends to blow into it's oddly-shaped flash-channel before attempting to load another shot, the amount of Swiss & Goex powder it "likes", it's preference for using the paperclip to put a little depression in the 3Fg powder which is just inside the flash-hole & at the beginning of the flash-channel and shaking/bumping a tiny bit of 4Fg powder outta the frizzen pan and into its place... then shaking the 4Fg powder laying against the flash-hole back into the frizzen pan again.

If these little things are done, the rifle performs perfectly and goes off with immediate ignition without hang-fires or a refusal to fire.

I'm learning that it just takes a little patience, experimenting and getting familiar with your rifle to find out what it "likes".

I've done as much with modern rifles... determining powder loads, different brands, weights and configurations of bullets as well as different manufacturer's primers & brass with cartridge rifles... and then there's the rifle's action bedding & whether to "bed" or float the barrel.

The important thing is that the Shenandoah is my "passport" to shooting a flintlock rifle... and the "learning" is fun if one just relaxes and takes things in stride.

At this point, after shooting 'scoped modern rifles for more than a half a century, I'm re-learning how to shoot iron sights once again... and these "old eyes" aren't all too happy about the "switch", buttttttttttt, again... I can "adjust"... it just takes a little "getting-use-to", n'est pas?!? :wink:

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Ron like you money is a big factor
dont let my bad luck or inpressions deter you from getting intothe hobby my intro was old CVA kits or loners from friends of my dad to go and try out maybe those old ones i got to try out on swayed my impressions of the shennadoah but in anyway seem theere is enouf help and encouragment if yo have problems or issues they can be resolved withthis group
I found a kit i like or atlast can make it the way i like nnow the hard aprt telling my wife i spent more then we agree on and yet once its here tell her i need more to make it shoot
welcome to the hobby i myself just gettting back into the hobby bought a gun and bought all the stuff needed to go with it was almost the guns price best of luck to you jsut check out your rifle well befor youtake it to the range or fire it what worried me most was the doulbe set trigger and hammer assy these should been working right from the factory

I've never owned or fired a Shennandoah but I have examined and shouldered them. My impression was that it was a nicely made rifle that felt good. If yours is working and firing properly then you have what you were searching for and no one has grounds to cast doubt on your choice. Even if you find a custom rifle is in your future, you may not want to part with the Shennandoah. I have "built" rifles but I also have two Traditions I've owned for years. both have "made meat" on many occasions.

Back