• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any suggestions? Or should I leave this dog under the porch?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pulled it apart, no visible cracks on either side that are visible. Looks like I panicked!
Have to keep an eye on it but looks to be surface only😅

Attachments

• IMG_5143.jpeg
    IMG_5143.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5141.jpeg
    IMG_5141.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Woodsrunner? Extra curly maple? The curl is pretty but straight grain is stronger. A couple of my recent builds with CM4 grade stocks kinda concern me about strength, at the wrist area especially.
Woodsrunner is correct. Couldn’t pass up the extra curly when it was available. Finished it a couple months back couldn’t be happier. Think I’ve stuffed about three pounds in it so far and it shoots better than me!

Woodsrunner is correct. Couldn’t pass up the extra curly when it was available. Finished it a couple months back couldn’t be happier. Think I’ve stuffed about three pounds in it so far and it shoots better than me!
Outstanding! I finished mine a few months ago and STILL haven't fired it. I seriously need to retire.

Pretty wood What caliber did you purchase. I got mine in 50. I was originally thinking 45 but there’s a weight savings with a 50. Beautiful rifles I’m still sighting mine it was shooting very low filing the front rear sight didn’t do it. just swapped out the front sight with a taller one and a new rear sight. Hopefully this week with files in hand I can see what I have now. Good luck with it. That round face lock is ballistic.

For hidden fixes from inside I would take a length of brazing rod, chuck in a drill and run it through a die to thread it. Drill a hidden hole past the crack, fill with epoxy and thread the rod in with a drill. After hardening I cut the rod flush.
But like said, fix the problem first.

Pretty wood What caliber did you purchase. I got mine in 50. I was originally thinking 45 but there’s a weight savings with a 50. Beautiful rifles I’m still sighting mine it was shooting very low filing the front rear sight didn’t do it. just swapped out the front sight with a taller one and a new rear sight. Hopefully this week with files in hand I can see what I have now. Good luck with it. That round face lock is ballistic.
54, I also put the taller rear sight and filed a smidge off the front. Works well so far at 50 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_5134.jpeg
    IMG_5134.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Pulled it apart, no visible cracks on either side that are visible. Looks like I panicked!
Have to keep an eye on it but looks to be surface only😅
Well, some kind of pressure caused the crack to appear after shooting it and it's not going to fix itself. It quite possibly could grow and besides that, it looks bad.

Well, some kind of pressure caused the crack to appear after shooting it and it's not going to fix itself. It quite possibly could grow and besides that, it looks bad.
Do not disagree,but it is superficial and fixable. The crack is following a curl and is going down and back up like a chip. Then I can glue it back in.

Latest posts

Back