• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody killed deer w/ revolver???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often overlooked is the way the game laws are written. In my state, a black powder pistol can be used during the special muzzle loading season, if it meets the specifications that the state has set. However during the regular firearms seasons, a different specification for hunting with a pistol is set forth. So, the cap and ball pistol would not be legal during the special muzzle loading season but if it meet caliber requirements and foot pounds of muzzle energy, then it would meet the requirements during the general firearms season. ROA's, Dragoons, and Walkers, could be well within these requirements (depending on load). Of course the DGIF, might not agree.

In response to chamber reaming, I think it's more of using a tool to square up the bottom of the chamber and possibly set it back, to increase the volume. One of the top pistol smiths, performs this service on ROA's, as well as other custom services.

armakiller said:
Not that know of, But Cynthialee has killed a Mountain Lion with hers!.
Yes, but I want it to be perfectly clear that the shots were fired at point blank so I had the most amount of power I could have possibly gotten from those shots. And I didn't have much of a choice in the affair. I would much rather have had a 12 gauge pump shotgun!
Also the first bullet the cat took right to the chest, center mass, and it just ****** the cat off and made him angry. It was the next few shots that killed it.

Last I knew. Cap and Ball revolvers are not legal for either muzzleloader season. They do not load from the muzzle. However, they are classed as centerfire for purposes of the regular firearms season. ( nearly all the American made caps until about 1970 were labeled centerfire.)

However, the Game Commission has decided that a Judge pistol, is a centerfire pistol when loaded with 45 colt shells and is a shotgun when loaded with 410 shells. We are permitted to use black powder smooth bores as shoguns, however, in such areas, smooth bore pistols may not be used for deer, but with shot may be used for small game.

I'm not aware of people being convicted of this, but the state also requires 60 grains of powder minimum in your rifle or musket to hunt deer. As already asked, how can that be accurately determined? As Dave said it is Maryland.

I have a Pietta reproduction of the Colt 1860 Army revolver and I routinely load it during deer season with 35 grains of powder, a felt wad and a roundball on top. I figure if I have a deer come into within 20 yards of me and I have a clean shot to the boiler room, I shouldn't have any trouble making meat. This is a pretty accurate load for me and I have no trouble putting 6 rounds into a 6" circle at 20 yards.

Jeff

Kansas allows any muzzle loader of .40 or larger. The language is it be loaded with separate components from the front of the firing chamber. There are no charge size restrictions. Buckshot in a shotgun is not allowed.

I have the same revolver and often Carry it while hunting deer and elk, BUT, it is in no way legal to use it to shoot either animal during the ML season in CO. nor is it legal to use it to administer the "coup de Grace", since ALL firearms used during ML season must comply with the definitions set out in the regs. Neither does it meet requirements during modern season since they are based on energy requirements that no existing c&b revolver can meet.

You might wonder why I'm packing a revolver that is not" legal"? Well, it is perfectly legal to use for any small game season that is concurrent with the ML season.

It gets even more peculiar though. It is legal to carry any weapon while hunting ML season as long as you don't use it to kill or attempt to kill your big game animal. Legally, I could carry my ML in one hand and a .375 H&H in the other, as long as I don't use it to shoot the big game animal that is in season!

Here is another CO odd one. Hunters are exempt from the Prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun even if they don't have a CCW permit. So, if your clothing covers it or its in your pack, it is OK.

A law abiding friend of mine got a citation a couple years ago when he used a hand gun to finish a big game animal. He shot it in the Head. The animal and the hunt area had mandatory CWD testing and the biologist discovered the way less than .50 caliber hole in the skull. He ended up paying a fine.

Reading here about the various regs regarding hunting and firearms use is certainly a reminder that we live in a sometimes non-sensical world

Roguedog said:
I have a Pietta reproduction of the Colt 1860 Army revolver and I routinely load it during deer season with 35 grains of powder, a felt wad and a roundball on top. I figure if I have a deer come into within 20 yards of me and I have a clean shot to the boiler room, I shouldn't have any trouble making meat. This is a pretty accurate load for me and I have no trouble putting 6 rounds into a 6" circle at 20 yards.
Jeff

I have a Pietta .44 caliber 1858 in stainless that would hold at least 35 grains of 3fg, and while I have considered taking it with me, I have not yet done so. Not HC/PC because of the stainless, but I can live with that. It is, at least, as powerful as my 6" .357, and I have killed deer with it. Food for thought, keep yer powder dry.......Robin :metoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
marmotslayer said:
I have the same revolver and often Carry it while hunting deer and elk, BUT, it is in no way legal to use it to shoot either animal during the ML season in CO. nor is it legal to use it to administer the "coup de Grace", since ALL firearms used during ML season must comply with the definitions set out in the regs. Neither does it meet requirements during modern season since they are based on energy requirements that no existing c&b revolver can meet.

You might wonder why I'm packing a revolver that is not" legal"? Well, it is perfectly legal to use for any small game season that is concurrent with the ML season.

It gets even more peculiar though. It is legal to carry any weapon while hunting ML season as long as you don't use it to kill or attempt to kill your big game animal. Legally, I could carry my ML in one hand and a .375 H&H in the other, as long as I don't use it to shoot the big game animal that is in season!

Here is another CO odd one. Hunters are exempt from the Prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun even if they don't have a CCW permit. So, if your clothing covers it or its in your pack, it is OK.

A law abiding friend of mine got a citation a couple years ago when he used a hand gun to finish a big game animal. He shot it in the Head. The animal and the hunt area had mandatory CWD testing and the biologist discovered the way less than .50 caliber hole in the skull. He ended up paying a fine.

Reading here about the various regs regarding hunting and firearms use is certainly a reminder that we live in a sometimes non-sensical world
The second to last paragraph stunned me! So this feller did the right thing but was considered to of done the wrong thing! Experts, don't you just love them :doh:

The second to last paragraph stunned me! So this feller did the right thing but was considered to of done the wrong thing! Experts, don't you just love them

Yup!

I was in the area when he killed it and I helped him with field dressing and packing it out. He did not mention at the time how he had finished the animal. I could have warned him since I knew how the reg was enforced. My first ML season in the early '70's i encountered a wildlife officer who noted a .22 revolver on my hip and asked "what is that for". I responded that it was for grouse and also in case I needed to finish a suffering animal. He explained the interpretation of the rules in no uncertain terms.

He is one of those extraordinarily upstanding guys who would not willfully break a law.

I killed a Doe medium size with an 1858 27gr 3f and round ball. Range was around 12 to 15 yrds. Ball hit in lungs don't remember the damage as it was 20 or so years ago. Deer ran aways and I recovered it. I reported this a few years ago so you can search for the facts as I could still remember them then. :grin: But I was unimpressed and will not do it again. Conical prob Ball no. Larry

Cap & ball not legal in Kansas but I have hunted with a single shot BP pistol which is legal.

I just read the regs for Kansas before my previous post. I've not checked directly with KDWPT, but the regs refer to loading separate components in the chamber. There is no reference to single shot.

Well! I have killed squirrel and rabbit and maybe a bird or two (scratching head). But no deer...
Although I did kill a raccoon once with my Daisy Red Ryder BB gun. :haha: That took a lot of BB's.
I'm also reminded that round balls from my C&B revolvers won't knock down the steel plates on my speed racks...And I remember picking barely stuck balls from a tree that I used as a target one time..(don't shoot trees....It's dumb and annoys the tree).
And then there was the time I shot a piece of 2x6 standing on a fence post and the ball bounce off and hit me square in the chest... :hmm:

Shoot deer you say... :hmm: :hmm:
Possible....but foolish I think.
I.P.S.C minimum power factor for major class is 170 I don't think I would try to hunt deer with any handgun that did not meet that minimum standard.
The power factor is calculated by multiplying bullet weight (in grains, 7,000 to the pound) by muzzle velocity (in feet per second), then dividing by 1000.

What caliber and charge were you using when the ball bounced back? Must have been a light one.
My .36 and .44 calibers penetrate Douglas fir / soft pine 2 x 4's out to 15 yards or so, and most of the way through the same material out to at least 40 yds. with full power loads.
The .44 does penetrate better at all ranges than the.36.
It has always seemed odd to me for some reason that the .44 ball does not penetrate boards better than it does, given how well it does in tissue.

.44 yes it was a light load.... but I didn't expect it to bounce straight back...the look on my face was priceless... :shocked2:

Given the perfect shot....I'd be tempted....I got a revolving carbine I always wanted to shoot one with... :idunno:

Mike Beliveau's testing with the Ruger Old Army showed that a reduced load (33 grns) of 3F Triple 7 (which gives similar velocities as Swiss and Olde Eynsford by volume) with a ball produced 1062 fps with 361 ft/lbs. That's similar to what many .50 cal rifle hunting loads have at 100-125 yds and they often claim complete passthroughs on deer.

I'd prefer a conical (my WFN) though. My ROA does best with 35 grns of T7 or Olde E and this load ought to produce ballistics similar to that of the .45 Colt and possibly a little better. 45 grns is the max load using T7 as it compresses more. With Olde E the max is about 40 grns.

In Texas I cannot use it as a primary weapon during BP season, though I can carry it as a sidearm. But I can use it during the regular season.

Well! an average .22LR is about 1200fps @ 140ft/lb
and they have killed millions of deer.....
Bow and arrows have way less energy and have killed deer for millennia...
I don't think the question is "can it be done" but rather Can it be done with repeatable and predictable effectiveness.

What's the muzzle velocity of your ROA hunting load and weight of a ball after loading? Calculate an ISPC power factor number...
MV x bullet weight/1000 If it exceeds 175 I'd be tempted to try it...

Back