• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody killed deer w/ revolver???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once upon a time, long long ago, but certainly within recorded history, spears were standard for bears up here. Folks didn't face a lot of risk cuzz they just speared them in their dens. Makes sense to me, and those folks were sensible.

Fwiw, when I was stationed in the FRG, there were numerous Jagers who hunted wild boar with a "boar spear".
(NO, I was "invited to go" TWICE, I chose to NOT participate in that, imVho, "suicidal activity".)

yours, satx

satx78247 said:
Fwiw, when I was stationed in the FRG, there were numerous Jagers who hunted wild boar with a "boar spear".
(NO, I was "invited to go" TWICE, I chose to NOT participate in that, imVho, "suicidal activity".)

yours, satx
Lightweight :haha:

Travis decides to try a method of catching some wild pigs that Mr. Searcy had told him about. It involves climbing into a low hanging branch, having your dog herd the pigs under the branch, lowering a rope noose to catch one pig at a time, pulling it up, notching it's ear (in effect, branding it), then continuing with the rest of the pigs. Travis and Yeller collaborate well and he successfully marks one small pig, but his second attempt is a larger pig and it pulls him out of the tree. A boar with sharp tusks then attacks Travis, cutting his leg. Yeller saves him, but in the process, Yeller is severely injured. Travis uses a neckerchief on his leg, then wraps his shirt around Yeller's torso wound and helps him into a small cave for protection and runs for home. Mrs. Coates returns with Travis, Arliss, and Jumper to see about Yeller. She sends Arliss off to catch a green lizard for her (to keep him busy), while she uses one of Jumper's tail hairs to sew up Yeller's wound. They then use a travois to haul Yeller home to recover.

Deer that have been wounded and have survived for an extended period of time have a "funny" taste....not comparable to the wonderfully flavored taste of a quickly killed deer.

Have experienced this "funny" taste in one deer and in one beef that had broken its leg which wasn't discovered for 8 hrs or so. Must be the adrenalin that's responsible for the "funny" taste which really isn't funny when one has to pour on steak sauce to hide the "off taste".

Perhaps the "wild game" taste is due to the above scenarios or worse. Unless the handgun hunter is an excellent shot, wounded game will be the result.....Fred

flehto said:
Deer that have been wounded and have survived for an extended period of time have a "funny" taste....not comparable to the wonderfully flavored taste of a quickly killed deer.

Have experienced this "funny" taste in one deer and in one beef that had broken its leg which wasn't discovered for 8 hrs or so. Must be the adrenalin that's responsible for the "funny" taste which really isn't funny when one has to pour on steak sauce to hide the "off taste".

Fact. Dunno for sure about the adrenalin, but that's the word everyone keeps using. Whatever the cause, the off taste is no one's imagination. It's there.

No amount of steak sauce covers it to my satisfaction though. A few years back I "finshed" a deer someone had wounded and lost in the morning. He gave up and I tracked all day to finish the deed. I'll save stories about that slacker former hunting partner for another day.

Hung and aired well, then butchered, it was all but inedible. Ended up thawing and unwrapping all that meat, canning it for dog food.

We had a cow get hung in a cattle guard and break its leg one morning, but didn't hear about it till afternoon. Nice, fat 4-year old and a very good momma. The meat was off, and even the hamburger was tough. I swear. Took us about a week to can all that for dogfood.

flehto said:

Perhaps the "wild game" taste is due to the above scenarios or worse. Unless the handgun hunter is an excellent shot, wounded game will be the result.....Fred
Fred, I know what you're talking about and I haven't killed one with a cap-n-ball.....but the last one I shot with a modern revolver tipped over like a lawn ornament...(at 50 yards)
Individual marksmanship is a factor regardless of what weapon you use....

The little spike that "Robby" took with his revolver & "put out of his misery" tasted FINE after several hours in the BBQ pit.
(Many hours of "wet" mesquite smoke & a good "rub", generously slathered on, "covers a multitude of sins". = We MAY have NOT been too particular anyway, given that that day was FRIGID & everyone was "near starved" by suppertime after hunting since it got light enough to SEE a deer AND it was "black dark" by the time we sat down to eat.)

NONE of the about 20 hunters said much about "off taste", as they were too busy chewing.
(CHUCKLE)

yours, satx

Can believe someone could carry and successfully use a M.1860 with a 30 grain FFFg load with RB. The February 1998 in-depth article form "Handguns" magazine that laboriously testsed percussion handguns to compare their true capabilities compared to modern smokeless cartridge handguns. In this specific case, the M.1860 Army and that load churned up 935 fps and 274 ft-lbs, which put it in the same category as the 200 gr, lead h.p. round for the .44 Special (or 225 grain JHP or LHP in .45 Colt) and a 75% one-shot stop ability. Both these modern smokeless rounds have been used with success for deciades, at least, adn the M.1860 is equally as capable.

Wes/Tex said:
...44 Special....45 Colt....

Worthy comparison.

We're not supposed to talk moderns here, but I've dinked a whole lot of deer with both of those over the last 40 years up here, 240-250 grain slug at +/- 750fps. All shots inside 50 yards and every single one of them a 1-shot kill.

Seeing many hunters don't do all that well shooting rifles accurately when hunting deer, using a handgun for hunting requires a whole lot of practice and even then the accuracy could suffer because of nervousness of the hunter when seeing a deer and the conditions of the area.....like brush. Also handguns are under powered compared to rifles and do require accurate hits in the most vital areas.

After having witnessed over many years the many poor shots when I was sighting in rifles at our club's "Deer Clinic", I would say only very few hunters are capable of using a handgun w/o crippling deer or whatever animal is being hunted.....Fred

Back