• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody killed deer w/ revolver???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Mike Beliveau's testing with the Ruger Old Army",

He quotes the man, but posts no pictures of dead deer from actual experience over the years from his shooting experience as his own. Proof is dead deer and his own testing which can be verified..

At the same time I've asked you to verify many of your statements which have been left unanswered. Does that mean you have no clue as to what you were saying?

If a load using a similar bullet traveling a similar velocity with a similar caliber projectile, in other words everything is virtually identical, is there any real reason not to expect similar results?

Or do you just having nothin better to do, as usual, than stir things up not adding even a tiny bit to the conversation? By all appearances from your many posts it seems your MO...

By your reasoning I cannot figure a .50 cal patched ball cannot kill deer either as I've yet to kill one with my rifle.

I did look and found plenty of people that have killed deer and hogs with .44/.45 cal percussion revolvers. So I know it can be done.

But then there's also physics...

Obviously, the "proof is in the pudding". Please post photos of deer killed with this combo.

I believe that it is adequate due to my one time experience with deer and with a couple of hogs. But numbers are just numbers and don't prove the point.

rodwha said:
At the same time I've asked you to verify many of your statements which have been left unanswered. Does that mean you have no clue as to what you were saying?

If a load using a similar bullet traveling a similar velocity with a similar caliber projectile, in other words everything is virtually identical, is there any real reason not to expect similar results?

Or do you just having nothin better to do, as usual, than stir things up not adding even a tiny bit to the conversation? By all appearances from your many posts it seems your MO...

What would like verified?

I have been shooting pistols for a long time and do have a clue. I am a qualified "Expert" Shooter with the NMLRA, hold 5 National records and have been shooting pistols longer than you are old.

I just may have an insight, we are still waiting for you to come to the TMLRA shoot in Brady to show us old folks on what to do, next shoot is October. Come on down.

See you there, I did bring the 2 traveling pistol trophies home last year for being the number one pistol shooter in Texas and one trophy home this year and finished 3rd in the other, guess I have not learned much.

See you in Brady.

The ROA is arguably the "magnum" of cap and ball revolvers.....The Walker not withstanding...

Let' put them aside for a moment and examine something a little more standard.....like a colt navy or a Remington army.... :hmm:

Your level of expertise is in shooting those traditional 15-18 grns of powder and breakfast cereal. That's hardly relevant to this and the many similar ones you've chimed in on, not once adding anything constructive.

You'll just need to go on back through all of those threads I've asked for you to stand behind your words but didn't. You couldn't though as you didn't know what you were talking about, but we're making several assumptions to come to your conclusions.

There's no way I'd feel comfortable using a .36 cal, especially with a ball.

The NMA and '60 Army aren't that dissimilar from the ROA. They hold ~5 grns less. With one of the more potent powders it will still produce similar ballistics as a .50 cal ball from a rifle at 100-125 yds. If a .50 cal ball usually provides a complete passthrough why wouldn't a slightly smaller ball traveling just little faster not do well enough? What, maybe it doesn't passthrough but is found near or under the hide?

But as I said I'd prefer a conical for the mass, and one with a wide flat meplat is well known for doing well.

I've certainly asked plenty of questions for several years and have found maybe 10 people who use the NMA, '60 Army, Dragoon, Walker, or ROA to hunt medium game with successfully. Some have been with a ball but most have been with a conical. All used Swiss or T7 as Olde E wasn't around yet or popular enough when I looked. Most everyone had a complete passthrough.

Just as I accept that a .50 cal ball has killed boat loads of deer at 100-125 yds where the energy figures are typically below 400 ft/lbs as I've read and seen too much evidence I also accept that these pistols will also do well within their limits and the shooter's, especially when a conical is involved and its combined with a potent powder as it mimics the .45 Colt to some degree.

With that said, were I to use a handgun as a primary I'd use my ROA as its more accurate load puts it about on par with a .45 Colt load, whereas my NMA's accurate load is 30 grns and putting it more like a .45 ACP load. But my ROA has a longer barrel and better sights as well, and gives better groups.

But I'd not use my pistol unless the range were short and I had a proper rest. My .50 cal rifle is my primary hunting tool.

My 2nd Cousin, Robby, took an already wounded WT (It had been hit in the foreleg, that was "hanging by a flap of skin") spike-buck from his tree-stand with a 1860 Colt's replica. - The range was about 20 FEET.
("Camp meat" & he put him out of his misery before the coyotes got to him.)

yours, satx

I remember the med Doe I took was with an 1858 one of the 12 inch barrel one's.(buffalo?) 27 grs of 3f and round ball at about 12--15 yrds. Lung shot and recovered but as I said I would not do again.

Larry

Mike Beliveau tested standard Goex in a Colt 1860 Army with 30 grns of 3F and a ball. He measured 883 fps and 242 ft/lbs with that load.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pGzAuC3O3HM

He also tested two Rugers with the same standard Goex vs Triple 7 that he reduced the charges by ~15%. With 33 grns of T7 and a ball he measured 1062 fps and 361 ft/lbs.

The powder used makes a tremendous difference. Though the ball is a bit smaller at .457" and 144 grns vs a .490" ball of 177 grns, the energy of the pistol's ball at 15 yds is about what a .490" ball's is at 125 yds if you use Swiss, Olde Eynsford, or Triple 7, and many on this forum attest to a .490" ball giving a complete passthrough and a more than dead deer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a chat with a friend who's a big fan of his 44 capper. He carries it all the time and shoots it lots while working for long periods in a remote area. He's carried it so much and is so good with it, most folks don't even know his real name. He's Wild Bill.

With a deer season that runs for 5 months and weeks on end in the hills, he is around deer all the time and prone to tagging them when conditions are right. According to him he hasn't used anything but that 44 for deer in at least 5 years. All one-shot kills. All accurate shots. All carefully selected shots. All at reasonable ranges.

He wasn't sure, so he pulled out his whittled powder measure and we checked it. It's dropping 25 grains of 3f.

It's the hand on the gun and not the gun that does the killing. If the hand isn't driven by brains and practice, it really doesn't matter much what kind of gun it holds.

Sure it does. My point was that the ballistics were similar. If a .490" ball gives passthroughs then a .457" ball ought to do similarly. If not a passthrough it would likely be found on the offside.

My other point was the type of powder used will give very different velocities. I have no idea as to whether the load Mr. Beliveau used in his Colt would be enough. It looks rather anemic. I don't care to find out personally as Olde E costs just $1 more/lb and gives much higher velocities. Used with a conical it can produce .45 Colt ballistics, and I know that to do just fine.

It's the hand on the gun and not the gun that does the killing. If the hand isn't driven by brains and practice, it really doesn't matter much what kind of gun it holds.

That's it in a nutshell.... :bow: :hatsoff:

Unfortunately your friend is more of the exception than the rule....

Personally don't know of anyone who has shot a deer w/ any kind of handgun...but have heard of a hunter who uses only a spear for both bear and deer Even saw a video of him spearing a bear. Now, talk of primitive hunting w/ a big handicap which is bigger than using a handgun....which also has a sizeable handicap.....Fred

Back