• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone ever make mullein leaf tea?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodsRoamer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I gathered a few leaves and drying them I'm curious what it taste likes and its health/medicinal effects.
Thanks for any info

Never tasted it, but it is used for a decongestant, also to relieve bronchitis and irritation due to coughing, stomach cramps and diarrhea.

The steam can be inhaled.

1 tablespoon dried mullein to 8 ounces warm water.
1-2 cups a day.

"These claims have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration..."

Let me know how it works.

Around here, the dried leaves are being smoked and a bit of euphoria is reported to result as well as reduced lung difficulties. However, a filter is necessary to avoid inhaling the hairs. The plants disappear about the beginning of September around here. $7 dollars a quarter oz on line for the dried leaves. Caught a guy in my pastures digging the stuff up two years ago. Once caught he offered to pay me for the right to dig the stuff. Told him to have at it.

When I was a kid my grandpa called it Indian tabacco. he said he smoked it once and reported similar results as yours... :hmm: I thought he was kidding me!
I could use a decongestant right about now, but I think I will pass on the Mullein.

I've used it for 40+ years as a lung decongestant and strengthener - sure helps at high altitude.

Never noticed any real euphoric affect and the only filter I've ever used is a fine screen. It tends to smoke a bit jot so be careful the first few inhales - hold for about 5 seconds then exhale completely. By the 3-4th puff you should notice a difference in breathing capacity. The smoking acts quicker than the tea so I usually make a cup of tea, drink it, and then have a few puffs. Effects can last up to 4 hours or so dependent on the individual and the strength
Works as good or better than the OTC drugs without the side effects such as drowsiness.
Another good lung decongestant is Mormon Tea - you can order it on line from various sources.

A BLM (Bureau of Land Management) plant ecologist told me that Chief Joseph of the Nez Perce Indians liked to race horses and usually won. He told me Chief Joseph fed his horses mullein before the races.

I hate this weed and have spent 20 yrs trying to get rid of it. This year I had about 10 plants to eradicate------- almost gone,,,,, but maybe never.

sidelock said:
almost gone,,,,, but maybe never.
As long as there's birds that fly over your property they'll never be gone.
There's over a million seeds in a 4" flower stalk and that's a small one. Birds eat a bunch of those seeds,, but all those seeds are not fully digested. So the neighborhood sparrow, fly's over and drops some seed with a nice addition of fertilizer to help the seed along.
They grow at your place cause they like the sandy soil an sunshine

I've tried smoking it and even mixing :stir: with other, non-tobacco, plant ingrediants to make my own, sorta, kinniky-nik. It is pure-dee-do-awful :barf: I mean, yukky-ekky, bad disgusting. :td:
Nebber again.

Thanks for all the info right now the leaves are drying in my room when they are done I'll post the results. Didn't know people smoked it. I only found out that it can be used as a tea a couple of years ago. Truth be told I didn't think of the plants as nothing more than tp until I learned you can make tea out of them.

Green its very soft. I hve never noted an itch or rash from it. Do I drink it...no, nor do I smoke it. How ever I use it alot in the woods, as its a might thick in this area. If you ever start debating a 'stich counter' dont ask what did frontiesmen use for TP... he may just point to the same plant thats served me well :wink:

Back