• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone in Central KY that builds rifles?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billholmes

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Morning all, I am wondering if there are any builders around the Campbellsville, Elizabethtown, Lexington, KY area who could take on a small project. Earlier I had asked if anyone knew where to find Cochran lock parts and I have hit a wall. All leads were to a deadend. So, I wonder if there's anyone who can make me a good one if I sent the original. Or I am considering just buying a new lock altogether but I know it will require a tad of inletting. I dont have the tools or expertise to do that. I would not mind having a butt plate made for this gun as well. If anyone around my area can do this stuff and has some time to get at it before deer season, I'm all ears. Thanks

I'm about 3 hours away from Etown, and I have, in my posession, a Cochran lock kit. :wink:

L&R makes a lock that is a replacement for a Cochran. It should not take much more than a little scraping here and there to make it fit.

No kidding! I should have posted in this forum long ago! How much would you be asking? Depending upon if it would work for me or not. This lock says 1984 so its pretty old. Its kinda small too. Most rifles I have seen have a little larger lock on them and I would not mind going with a bit bigger one depending upong the time and expense it would take to change them out.

Like Roy, I'm curious as to what is wrong with the lock.

I don't want to take any work away from anyone, but the fix may be someting really simple that you can do at home.
J.D.

The problem is the frizzen spring is broke in half. I dont have any way of fixing it so I sent it to someone who said they could. Well, that was a mistake. They welded and tempered to their best ability and it immediately broke again. I just need a new spring but cannot find one to fit a Chochran lock. If i cant find one, i would just a soon replace the entire lock with an L&R or Chambers possibly. They're better locks in my opinion anyway.

Back