• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone make a .315 ball mould?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultona

32 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, so a lot of guys are using .315 balls in their .32 muzzleloaders and they are working great for them. So who makes a .315 round ball bullet mould if you don't want to have to buy Hornady bullets all your life? I am just a tightwad and have a ton of lead, so its dumb for me to buy what I can make. I heard Rapine makes odd size moulds, but anybody stock this size as a normal item? Kinda odd that Hornady makes 'em and nobody makes a mould for them? Whats the deal? Any info greatly appreciated.

Jeff Tanner will make it. I think that I have a .311 somewhere -- if I have not already given it away.

However, I have to ask why anyone would buy a mould for such a small ball? The sprue is such a large percent of the leading surface that it is comical. I would just buy shot. In fact that is what I do for all calibers .36 and under.

I also have a whole lot of lead, but I use it for .40 and larger.

CS

I have a rifle that takes a special size round ball .520. Could not find a mold
I e-mailed Jeff Tanner and got a reply right away he said he would ship it the next day . Got the mold in 7 days $35.00 delivered from England . Great service and mold is Great too .
http://www.jt-bullet-moulds.co.uk/

What size shot works, and what diameter is it? Is it consistent enough to use for bullets, or do they vary a few thousandths?

#1 Shot is .30 caliber, and #0 is .32 caliber. They can be bought in quantity for much less. See Ballistics products, among others. Hornady sells buck shot in bags, and I believe, bottles.

Here is the sizing on Buck shot for everyone else:

#4 Buck: .24

#3 Buck: .25

#2 Buck: .27

#1 Buck: .30

#0 Buck: .32

#00 Buck .33

#000 Buck .36

To determine the diameter of bird shot, use the Rule of 17: Subtract the # of the shot, from the number 17, and you have the diameter of the pellet in hundredths of an inch.

Steel BB are .18( as opposed to the BBs you buy for a air gun, which are .177" That is why we don't use the steel BBs sold for shotguns in these air rifles, the pellets stick in the barrels and ruin them! )

T-steel pellets are .20

F-steel pellets are .22

Hope this helps you. The only way you could possibly save any real money casting a .31 size ball is you had a gang mold like you see sold to fishermen who want to cast their own split shot for line weights. That little ball only weighs 40 grains or so. Do what other shooters do. They buy the buckshot in bulk, and just have fun shooting.

Hornady sells buck shot in bags, and I believe, bottles.

And little red boxes.

Their OOO Buck shot is quite reliable in my .36. A friend says that their O Buck is great in his .32.

I would give it a try and anyone around here can tell you that I am an avid ball caster. I just believe that when you get to the very small calibers, that shot is a good option to consider.

CS

Dixie offers their scissor type mold and a brass Kentucky style mold that can be ordered in .315.

Just thought I'd throw this out...If you're OK with Ebaying, there is a Thompson Center .32 mold listed @ 19.95 right now and they are .315 . I have one and they seem to do pretty well, though they do leave a pretty good sprue. They shoot fine out of my crockett.

Back