• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone own a TVM Early Virginia? Have Pics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric/WV

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello. I was wondering if anyone owns a TVM Early Virginia rifle. I was thinking about ordering one, but the picture on their website is hard to see. If you own one, could you post some picures of it? Also, do you like it? Thanks.

Eric

I'm currently building one of the TVM Early Virginia from one of their parts set. 54cal Longhammock Swamp and Queen Anne lock. I did have them inlet the barrel and lock. The barrel fit perfect, just ever so snug. The lock mortise needed just a very small amount of touch up, once the breech plug was inlet. I could not have asked for a better job. Their inletting is by hand using the same parts you'll be shipped.
The parts were furniture was a good quality investment cast, one shortcoming of their parts was the thin pinning material, I use 3/32 pins, they supply 1/16 wire.
The only complaint I could have was the amount of curl. The stock was their P+ (30 to 60%), I think it would be pushing to say it ahd 30%.
I will buy another setup from them, due to the great inlet setup they did, and quick delivery time.

Eric,

Here ya go! :front:

Do I like it? I love it! I'm sure it's not 100% historically correct for any particular setting, but then again I'm not in any 100% historically accurate settings, and just want to shoot it... It's much more accurate than I can be.

It's not the stock "early Virginia." I had Matt and Toni add Colerain swamped barrel, sliding wood patchbox, P+ wood, silver thumbpiece inlay, and some incised carving as you can see. Only drawback was the one-year wait, but that allowed me to save up the price! ::

Greg

(P.S. 17-year-old son would rather hold guitar than rifle!)

RightsideinRoberthands.jpg

PatchboxCloseup.jpg

Rightsidebuttarea.jpg

Forearmmoldingcloseup.jpg

Fla Flinter,

That is a mighty fine piece. Thanks for the pictures. That is the exact style that I have been looking for, and I just needed to see some better pictures of their work to finalize my decision. I am going to order mine with a 38" barrel, steel furniture and patchbox, L&R Queene Anne Lock, aged furniture, and sling swivels. If anyone else has some pictures, I'd still like to see them. Thanks again.

Eric

Very nice rifle I have held some of their smooth bores and really like the fit, decent workmanship from what I can tell never owned any of their pcs but have looked at alot

Erastus: Is the TVM stock you have milled thru the barrel channel for the ramrod?
The stock I bought from them a number of years ago had been made that way.

The ramrod hole was only drilled about 3 inches deep from the outside and it ran into a milled groove which was cut from the inside.

I was a bit disappointed with this method of manufacture. It seems to me it removes a lot of wood in an area where I think it needs all the wood it can get. ::

Not a very big pic but this is their standard model with iron furniture, siler lock, .50 cal GM barrel 42", won it at Ft. Bridger last yr. have never fired it. Have another in .54 percussion that I shoot quite a bit, it's super accurate.

TVM2004Ft.jpg

Zonie
The ramrod hole is drilled. There was no milling of the ramrod from the barrel channel whatsoever. It was also drilled all the way to breech end. :)

I do currently have a stock from another supplier I've yet to build, which has a combination drilled and milled ramrod hole, and whats worse it stops 3" short of being drilled as deep as the breech. I was kind of diasappointed by that :bull:

Deadeye,

Thanks for the pic. I was hoping to see one with iron furniture. Looks great.

Eric

Hey Eric, I just thought of something... TVM is at Dixon's Gunbuilders Fair this weekend here in eastern PA - I'm going there tomorrow and if they have an iron-mounted Early VA there, I'll see if I can take some pics for you.

Another stock TVM "early Virginia" (this one iron mounted) that I used to own. No frills on this one; I bought it as it was, and later sold it to finance the more "custom" one. (I bought it from Track and these are the Track photos from their site.)

Greg

Longrifle.jpg

LongrifleCloseup.jpg

LongrifleLeftSide.jpg

Tvm Early Virgina finished. I used a patina formula from A. Martin. It really mellows the iron.
07bf107a.jpg

d2ce4844.jpg

5e8a8fb4.jpg

Erastus,

That sure is a fine looking gun. Just out of curiosity, what is the aging formula that you used for the metal?

Eric

Eric this is a quote from Allen Martin off another forum. This formula really works well on iron furniture also. I should be so lucky to get a rifle to look as good as his!! :master:

Erastus.......
I been asked for this before !!! Seem like this finish is a big hit !!!!!

First step ....
Brown the barrel like normal but do not card or remove scale like you if you were making a even brown . What you are looking for is the pitting . I normally I leave my barrel in the damp box for about 8-12 days . The barrel will look ....rough !!!!!!
Some folks use bleach but I feel the pits get to large ......... and uneven .

Step two ....
Sand the barrel down to the bare metal but you leave the pits .
It's very messy job .
Using 100 grit sandpaper going to a scotch-brite pad , I also you use hot -soapy water and wet sand .

Step three .....
Apply cold blue ..... Brownell's 44/40 works for me .....
Rub the cold off with a scotch-brite pad & oil .......... And that's it !!!!!!!!
Simple takes time and it's messy .

Every job turns out different ..... but thats the beauty of it !!!!

Good luck .............
Allen

Allen Martin Custom Flintlock Rifles
The home of the Lehigh Co. Rifle
http://www.allenmartinrifles.com

Nice carving and I like the antique fin that Allen does I was holding some of his fine work in my hands at Dixons :front:

Back