• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone recognize...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
the gonne is these videos? Could it be an old handgonnes.com model? A Claypipe gonne? :hmm:

Gonne 1

Gonne 2

Just curious. It sort of reminds me of Claypipe's Tannenberg, but the socket looks much longer.

Last edited by a moderator:
He loaded whatever it was direct with a powder flask. Not a seperate measure. did you notice how he was talking like an expert. I am sorry he is an idiot and not aware of basic muzzle loader saftey. I hope he does not kill anybody.
:nono:

I noticed the powder flask thing. It's all too common in a lot of these vids. :shake: Many are of the opinion that if the flask/horn has a closing spout on it they don't need to use a seperate measure. I use a couple old CVA brass flasks and have noticed that the little piece that's supposed to close behind the powder after it goes into the spout doesn't always fully close, making a potential brass hand grenade. :shocked2: To each his own, I guess. :(

Musketeer Von Blunderbuss:

the gonne is these videos? Could it be an old handgonnes.com model? A Claypipe gonne? :hmm:

Just curious. It sort of reminds me of Claypipe's Tannenberg, but the socket looks much longer.

Actually, it looks like the barrel sold by The Rifle Shoppe. Originally they were .75 and then were advertised as .77.

Here is mine for comparison.
Gr3.jpg

Seeing a muzzleloader being loaded directly from a flask makes me cringe. That is a Darwin Award just begging to be earned.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Last edited by a moderator:
Swamp Rat said:
Is he sucking on lead balls?

Yes, to make a "spit" lube for it. (and we worry about lead base paint)
smiley-org-rolleyes.gif

A little overkill on the ramrod, don't you think? :haha:

What would a range officer say about loading a muzzleloader with a lit match in your hand? Isn't that about the same as smoking while loading your muzzleloader???? :shake:

:v Quite frankly I don't think most RO's wouldn't know what's going on with a hand gonne. My club only know that that broomstick certainly makes noise and smoke. As far as the firing procedures used are concerned we could all criticize several parts not neglecting filling from a flask. The warning "powder care" must be a local thing I guess. As far as a lit match is concerned, that is also a big No!-No! IMHO. I leave the lit match hanging on a wire in back of me whilst loading, it is picked up and then I proceed to shoot. That range probably has RO's (present?)but not very knowledgeable or could give a large manure. However shooting a Gonne is fun to do and fun to watch, but if I were present my DI voice would be heard loud and clear. The gonne he is using looks like a Tannenburg wanna be repro :hmm:

I think he is yelling "Have a Care" when he touches it off. I guess that is like yelling "fire in the hole". I think "Have a Care" is from the English manual of arms for the F&I era.

Many Klatch

As if everything else wasn't enough to convince me he's a moron, the fact that he's shooting on a hot range, (as evidenced by the gunshots in the background), and shouting, "have a care," every time he fires certainly confirms it.

Definitely very strange behavior.

It seems that people with the "moron" gene always have the "hey look at me" gene too. Sadly they usually become computer literate too. :(

Teleoceras forgive my ignorance about your type firearm but does the serpentine pivot lowering the match to a touch hole? :hmm:

Pitchy:

Teleoceras forgive my ignorance about your type firearm but does the serpentine pivot lowering the match to a touch hole? :hmm:

Yes. Gretchen is based on a design from a picture from an Austrian manuscript dated from 1411.

Gr4.jpg

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

I can't speak for Teleo, but it looks to me from the slot just visible at the bottom of the tiller that the serpentine can be levered away from the touch hole a bit for affixing the match, and also levered down to bring the match to the touch hole.

Teleo, is the slot cut all the way from the front of the tiller, or is it "drilled" through just where the serpentine is mounted? :hmm:

Woops! Teleo beat me to your answer, Picthy. :thumbsup:

Thanks gents for both your answers, dang that is nice i`m going to have to make one. :thumbsup:
If ya wouldn`t mind i`d appreciate some dementios, barrel length, tiller, handle, and i bet it ain`t called that :redface: :redface:
Thanks.

Whoops, and how big is the touch hole and is it just that a hole on the top.

Pitchy:

Thanks gents for both your answers, dang that is nice i`m going to have to make one. :thumbsup:
If ya wouldn`t mind i`d appreciate some dementios, barrel length, tiller, handle, and i bet it ain`t called that :redface: :redface:
Thanks.

Whoops, and how big is the touch hole and is it just that a hole on the top.

The tiller is 45". The touchhole is 3/8" with a depression for the priming powder. The lever is 26" on the bottom before it turns upwards. At the maximum extent, the serpentine is at a 60 degree angle giving it several inches from the touchhole.

The barrel is the .77 round Handgonne barrel 793SRB from The Rifle Shoppe.

Hope this helps.

Slowmatch Forever!
Teleoceras

Thanks, should have one done by tomorrow afternoon, gotta go to town for supplies today. :thumbsup:

The touch hole is 3/8ths diameter ?, wow that`s big, must be a lot of fire that comes out when firing.
I`m going to make mine a 50 cal. are ya sure that touch hole isn`t 1/8 th in diameter?

Back