• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anything wrong with Crisco?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
35+ years ago when I first got into black powder shooting I used Crisco for patch lube, and in cap & ball revolver. After getting back into it recently I bought some T/C "Bore Butter". I can't tell a whole lot of difference unless I'm missing something. I also tried it in my musket and it seemed to work OK. Seems a lot cheaper if I'm not mistaken ( which I could be).

Well good luck, I started out using it almost 30 years ago and found it "to wet" after a few shots. Unless you clean after every or every other shot, it just got to soupy and caused misfires. A mix with something like beeswax might help stiffen it up.

. sep 21 / 2:40pm

yes, you're missing the whole point - there's no money in selling crisco ! !

in one book i have it says: "...this chapter is not intended to throw rocks at old-time lubes and solvents.. those who enjoy playing the whole game the old way have every right to go with bear grease and possum fat, but first, how about those modern chemicals ?"

(no sarcasm in that paragraph, is there - ha!)

and later in the same chapter: "Shortening, sheep tallow, and bear fat ...be it vegetable oil or animal fat, it can go rancid: therefore, lubing up a bunch of patches with an of these products for the log term is unwise...."

(unwise !)

then it goes on with no less than 7 pages full of giant pictures and glowing text all about "those" new, lab tested, space aged wonders that all advertise in the book and on our web pages.. that's why crisco doesn't "work" anymore - it isn't expensive, lab created, and a major advertiser..

(though, personally i do wonder if my revolver would start smelling like a french fry....)

we used to read books for entertainment or go exploring a creekbed or a spooky forest; today they want video on their ipod while the microwave cleans itself.. time moved past us like rush hour traffic.

i think that's really what's happening..

in "lyman's blackpowder handbook" they use crisco in all their ballistics tests and talk about a digital computer that did the complex mathmatics for the tables - a newfangled digital computer machine, huh, wow what will they think of next.. that was written in 1975.. they have on leisure suits, and talk about gearheart-owen gunpowder (?).. face it, we're dinosaures.

great question.. i hope you aren't offended by my answer.. none intended.

~d~

LeMat1856 said:
. sep 21 / 2:40pm

yes, you're missing the whole point - there's no money in selling crisco ! !

in one book i have it says: "...this chapter is not intended to throw rocks at old-time lubes and solvents.. those who enjoy playing the whole game the old way have every right to go with bear grease and possum fat, but first, how about those modern chemicals ?"

and later in the same chapter: "Shortening, sheep tallow, and bear fat ...be it vegetable oil or animal fat, it can go rancid: therefore, lubing up a bunch of patches with an of these products for the log term is unwise...."

(unwise !)

then it goes on with no less than 7 pages full of giant pictures and glowing text all about "those" new, lab tested, space aged wonders that all advertise in the book and on our web pages.. that's why crisco doesn't "work" anymore - it isn't expensive, lab created, and a major advertiser..

(though, personally i do wonder if my revolver would start smelling like a french fry....)

we used to read books for entertainment or go exploring a creekbed or a spooky forest; today they want video on their ipod while the microwave cleans itself.. time moved past us like rush hour traffic.

i think that's really what's happening..

in "lyman's blackpowder handbook" they use crisco in all their ballistics tests and talk about a digital computer that did the complex mathmatics for the tables - a newfangled digital computer machine, huh, wow what will they think of next.. that was written in 1975.. they have on leisure suits, and talk about gearheart-owen gunpowder (?).. face it, we're dinosaures.

great question.. i hope you aren't offended by my answer.. none intended.

~d~

Well I didn't say it wouldn't work, just you'll end up with a soupy mess if you don't clean often. I have to wonder when they did those tests in 1975 how often they cleaned the guns used in the test.

Well I didn't say it wouldn't work, just you'll end up with a soupy mess if you don't clean often. I have to wonder when they did those tests in 1975 how often they cleaned the guns used in the test.

I never had any of those problems with Crisco? I wipe after every shot when using any of the grease type lubes, including 1000+ just for the sake of consistency. Grease is for hunting and water 10/dish soap 1 or spit is for the range. I have a coffee can near full of crisco with a bit of bees wax melted in to prevent it from getting too runny on hot days. wonder what that much 1000+ would cost me? :shocked2:

marmotslayer said:

I never had any of those problems with Crisco? I wipe after every shot when using any of the grease type lubes, including 1000+ just for the sake of consistency. Grease is for hunting and water 10/dish soap 1 or spit is for the range. I have a coffee can near full of crisco with a bit of bees wax melted in to prevent it from getting too runny on hot days. wonder what that much 1000+ would cost me? :shocked2:

You could have quoted my first post where I said wipe after each shot. I never had a problem either if I did that. :v

I have an uncle who used Crisco for years and I have used it ,too, but I prefer to melt equal amounts of Crisco and bees wax. It does seem to make a more stable lube. But I believe that the real secret is to wipe when needed and don't lube too many patches at a time no matter what lube you use.

Nothing wrong with Crisco, except maybe the sodium and the mess.

But then I thought T/C's Bore Butter was too mess, also.

For many years I used equal parts Crisco, mutton tallow and beeswax in my muskets. That's still what I roll my shotgun wads in.

LeMat1856 said:

(unwise !) ~d~

What was said about buffalo fat (lard), I have used it in below freezing conditions and up to 90 degrees with out any change other than going from hard to soft with temp. change. Haven't had any of my old buffalo lard go rancid, have some 8-10 years old and its still good? Just wondering what information you have read? :confused: I only lubed a patch strip at a time, other wise lard is kept in a small crockery jar.

buck conner said:
LeMat1856 said:

(unwise !) ~d~

What was said about buffalo fat (lard), I have used it in below freezing conditions and up to 90 degrees with out any change other than going from hard to soft with temp. change. Haven't had any of my old buffalo lard go rancid, have some 8-10 years old and its still good? Just wondering what information you have read? :confused: I only lubed a patch strip at a time, other wise lard is kept in a small crockery jar.

I pretty much do the same with Bear Grease I make and it hasn't gone rancid in the 4 or 5 years I have used it. I believe strongly all meat and blood has to be void from the fat before rendering it. I am sure that is what causes the lard/grease to smell and go rancid, when the meat/blood is allowed to stay with the fat when rendering.

I used Crisco for years with no problem. For really hot days I mixed in beeswax and it stayed pretty firm. Bore butters are no better than Crisco and cost way too much. Spit worked even better with prb.

Thsi one of those old wives tales that keeps getting repeated - while it's true that any of them CAN go rancid it is not all that common of an occurence. I just came across a tin of patches that I oiled up with bear fat in the mid-1907's and they are not rancid.
IMO an even better alternative to Crisco - plain old lard - cheap, easy to find at most any grocery store, and stays solid even in 80° + heat. While I prefer bear grease when I can't get it I use lard and have for 40+ years.........

ozark57 said:
35+ years ago when I first got into black powder shooting I used Crisco for patch lube, and in cap & ball revolver. After getting back into it recently I bought some T/C "Bore Butter". I can't tell a whole lot of difference unless I'm missing something. I also tried it in my musket and it seemed to work OK. Seems a lot cheaper if I'm not mistaken ( which I could be).

I too tried Crisco in my musket before, went from a 42 inch barrel to a 36 incher and it gave my barrel a buttery smell, then I read the can and found out that Crisco is a shortning. :rotf:

All joking aside, the only real problem with it I had was it was too runny in warm weather and the Crisco would leech out of the parches.

I used Crisco for a couple of years until some pillow ticking patches that had been lubed for a couple of years tore when started in the bbl. I imagine Crisco is OK if the patches are used shortly after lubing.....Fred

LaBonte said:
This one of those old wives tales that keeps getting repeated - while it's true that any of them CAN go rancid it is not all that common of an occurence. I just came across a tin of patches that I oiled up with bear fat in the mid-1907's and they are not rancid.

Mid-1907! :hmm:

Crisco has worked well for me over the years. I am a firm believer in frugality so it certainly fits the bill. It contains an anti-oxidant to help prevent rancidity. Keeping out light,air and storing in a cool place will help to preserve it. On an earlier post a gentleman stored his prelubed patches in the freezer-best possible place for long term. I have never had pre lubed patches for more than a couple of months so deteriation is not an issue. I have gotten away from prelubing because the stuff would spread all over your hands after multiple shots at the range (cutting at the muzzle). I keep old cap containers full of it and rub my patch strip in it (on one side only)as I load. In my C&B revolver on hot days I notice after 2 shots the rest has melted out of the chamber so maybe some bees wax would help that.

You could have quoted my first post where I said wipe after each shot. I never had a problem either if I did that.

Didn't mean to short quote you. :redface: I'm a product of the early internet boards where band was limited and keyboards were slapped for over quoting.

I think the "soupy mess" must have something to do with your local climate?

LaBonte said:
Thsi one of those old wives tales that keeps getting repeated - while it's true that any of them CAN go rancid it is not all that common of an occurence. I just came across a tin of patches that I oiled up with bear fat in the mid-1907's and they are not rancid.
IMO an even better alternative to Crisco - plain old lard - cheap, easy to find at most any grocery store, and stays solid even in 80° + heat. While I prefer bear grease when I can't get it I use lard and have for 40+ years.........

Again, it needs to be absolutely clean of blood and meat when rendered, if not, it will go rancid.

marmotslayer said:
You could have quoted my first post where I said wipe after each shot. I never had a problem either if I did that.

Didn't mean to short quote you. :redface: I'm a product of the early internet boards where band was limited and keyboards were slapped for over quoting.

I think the "soupy mess" must have something to do with your local climate?

The climate may have been a problem, I dunno nor care anymore. I learned not to use it and have own lube which works just fine for me now. :v

Swampy said:
LaBonte said:

Again, it needs to be absolutely clean of blood and meat when rendered, if not, it will go rancid.

Agreed -

and that 1907's should have been 1970's - too late and too tired causes one to make mistakes like that..........on the other hand some days I feel like I've been around since the 1907's!

Back