• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Are The Italian Black Powder Manufacturers Going to Go out Of Business?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the Italian Replica Gun Companies Gradually Going Out Of Business?
Except for short periods of time when it appears new inventory has arrived (that’s when you see retailers having ‘sales’), none of the Italian made guns seem to be in inventory for very long. Can’t say whether the Italian replica gun makers are going out of business or not, but they do seem to be able to sell everything they manufacture, whether you like the price or not.

Now what is it that makes YOU think the Italian Replica Gun Companies are going out of business?

Except for short periods of time when it appears new inventory has arrived (that’s when you see retailers having ‘sales’), none of the Italian made guns seem to be in inventory for very long. Can’t say whether the Italian replica gun makers are going out of business or not, but they do seem to be able to sell everything they manufacture, whether you like the price or not.

Now what is it that makes YOU think the Italian Replica Gun Companies are going out of business?
Maybe because they do not seem to be keeping up with the demand for many of their models. "Out of Stock" is pretty common today.

Maybe because they do not seem to be keeping up with the demand for many of their models. "Out of Stock" is pretty common today.
So a company has a product that they can sell every one of which they make, even though they are increasing manufacturing capacity, at a profit…. and you predict they are going out of business. Imagine a company, that says they will be making a certain model gun, say a Hawken style gun, but doesn’t immediately begin filling orders. Guess they are all about ready to go of business also. Can you name company that meets this domesday prediction?

The demand is not likely any greater now than it was 10 years ago, but the Italian companies seem to be producing and shipping much less.
I know for a fact that the China Virus was particularly rampant in Italy with a much higher mortality rate than elsewhere due to political / immigration reasons.
Likely took a very high toll on skilled workers.
Their revolvers are available sporadically, and long guns are almost unobtanium.
The US is undoubtedly their biggest market, but supply is only a trickle of what it was for so many years. I do not think demand has increased; if anything, it is declining steadily.
Perhaps the Italian companies are having the same problems American employers are having finding new hires that are willing to develop new job skills and stick around for more than a few days or weeks.

The demand is not likely any greater now than it was 10 years ago, but the Italian companies seem to be producing and shipping much less.
I know for a fact that the China Virus was particularly rampant in Italy with a much higher mortality rate than elsewhere due to politics and unrestricted immigration of Chinese nationals.
Likely took a very high toll on skilled workers.
Their revolvers are only available sporadically, and long guns are almost unobtanium.
The US is undoubtedly their biggest market, but supply is only a trickle of what it was for so many years. I do not think demand has increased; if anything, it is declining steadily.
Perhaps the Italian companies are having the same problems American employers are having finding new hires that are willing to develop new job skills and stick around for more than a few days or weeks.

So a company has a product that they can sell every one of which they make, even though they are increasing manufacturing capacity, at a profit…. and you predict they are going out of business. Imagine a company, that says they will be making a certain model gun, say a Hawken style gun, but doesn’t immediately begin filling orders. Guess they are all about ready to go of business also. Can you name company that meets this domesday prediction?
Any increase in production is a post covid increase. I don't have facts but I seriously doubt todays production numbers are anywhere near pre covid levels. From my prospective as a customer it does not look good. I hope you are right.. I hope they are thriving and one day I can find a wide variety of models available for purchase as it was pre covid.

"Out of stock" is the common story with most businesses anymore. Heck, it was 50 years ago, too. They just don't carry the inventory. If you have ever a seen a 4" thick MSC catalog, they don't keep all that in stock. They are just basically telling it can be sourced.

Any increase in production is a post covid increase. I don't have facts but I seriously doubt todays production numbers are anywhere near pre covid levels. From my prospective as a customer it does not look good. I hope you are right.. I hope they are thriving and one day I can find a wide variety of models available for purchase as it was pre covid.
What I’m saying is that their manufacturing capacity is not what it was.
Demand is not increasing at all. Interest in BP shooting is declining rapidly.

Perhaps it is ( Who wants to buy a gun you cant get caps and powder for? )

No idea, all I know is Pedersoli prices have literally doubled in Australia since about 2019.

I’m having a custom flintlock made as in hand finished high grade European walnut blank, hand engravings, few other nice touches and it’s cheaper than Pedersoli guns like the jaeger.

I’ve owned 4 or 5 Pedersoli’s and found quality to be very hit and miss so I’d never fork out another cent on one. Ironically the best one I ever had I sold. I’ve still got my Missouri River hawken which id sell except for the fact I’d have to take too big a hit on what I paid for it so I may as well leave it in the safe, haven’t shot a caplock in 3 years and can’t see my interest piquing again there.

"Out of stock" is the common story with most businesses anymore. Heck, it was 50 years ago, too. They just don't carry the inventory. If you have ever a seen a 4" thick MSC catalog, they don't keep all that in stock. They are just basically telling it can be sourced.
Yep, it’s a bit like saying I can’t get Remington caps, must be going out of business because no one stocks them. Any importer wants a full container prior to shipping, not a box here or there. It could be six or twelve months before that container is filled with the goodies we want.

No idea, all I know is Pedersoli prices have literally doubled in Australia since about 2019.

I’m having a custom flintlock made as in hand finished high grade European walnut blank, hand engravings, few other nice touches and it’s cheaper than Pedersoli guns like the jaeger.

I’ve owned 4 or 5 Pedersoli’s and found quality to be very hit and miss so I’d never fork out another cent on one. Ironically the best one I ever had I sold. I’ve still got my Missouri River hawken which id sell except for the fact I’d have to take too big a hit on what I paid for it so I may as well leave it in the safe, haven’t shot a caplock in 3 years and can’t see my interest piquing again there.
I do not know what is behind it but Pedersoli has pretty much priced themselves out of the market. At least the market that I would participate in.

I don't agree. Do you have any data to support that?
Look at current pictures of shooters on the firing lines at Friendship compared to 15 or 20 years ago. Average age is probably 60 or more. Almost no new, younger blood.
A muzzleloading club in north-central Arkansas that hosts 2 State Championships every year has seen participation drop by 75% over the last 10 years.
I may have overstated things a bit by suggesting that the Italian companies may eventually shut down, but I do think demand is dropping and maybe the manufacturers are not planning on replacing most of the workers they lost during the height of the China Virus plague.

Last edited:
Back