• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Attention NY Muzzleloaders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just received this on the NYSMLA teletype:

Subject: IMPORTANT - DEC Proposal

Word has it that unless the DEC Commisssioner sees more support for the Early ML proposal it may get dropped like a hot potato from the regulation changes. I've been pushing for all I'm worth but now it's up to you to nudge it just a little, no, a lot! If this is something you want, then show it! Don't wait until tomorrow or the next day. Everyday is crucial to getting this in.

Call write or fax the DEC Commissioners Office or the deputy commissioner.
Tell them that you are in favor of the modified early muzzleloader proposal and that the muzzleloaders would like a little equity for the dollars they are spending in license fees. Tell her that the DEC needs to have tools to be able to manage the deer herd as needed. These are proactive measures for a long term management plan.

Acting Commissioner Denise Sheehan
625 Broadway
Albany, NY 12233-1011
Tel:518-402-8540
Fax:518-402-9016

Deputy Commissioner Lynette Stark
Tel:518-402-8560

You can also access from their web site;
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/about/emailform.html

It's your last chance! Don't wait for somebody else to do it for you.

Eric "GRIZ" Bratt
NYS Muzzleloaders Assoc.
NYS Brigade of Longrifles
NYS Conservation Council Rep

I have been told that the "Ithaca area" forums went terribly for this topic. The archers and the mountain bikers and hikers really raised a major stink.

BobW

I find it amazing how (hunters) archers can turn on other hunters. In Maine Maine Bowhunting Assoc. fought the youth rifle hunting (day) as it infringed with their generous season. Archers are not your friends, they are selfish,foolish $##%@^*#! :curse:
NIT WIT

Apparently a lot of the feedback has been generally negative. I have been trying to convince the Bureau of Wildlife the best idea is to push the season back to the week before gun season. Might just as well have talked up my sleeve. The New York Bowhunters were heavily against the ML season and are well organized, if greedy and selfish.

Interestingly enough, I'm hearing that the bow hunters also aren't interested in the earlier or longer season that is being proposed ::.

I am an avid bow hunter who has also taken advantage of the northern zone early ml season. Can't understand all the hostility..... :hmm:

The only "crisis" I really see is the excessive nuissance permits issued that allow eradication by any method. IMO an extended late season with ml (more than the crappy 10 days) could be beneficial to all. OOPS, forgot, the snowmobile groups don't want us then either.... :curse:UUUUUGHHHHH :curse:!

BobW

I was all for a early muzzleloader season.Even went to the DEC meeting in Oneonta about the reg. changes,then it hit me.I don't know if this is a good idea,think about it you have archery hunters and turkey hunters both in camo.Now you put a muzzleloader in the mix not so much the flinter or caplock but the inline I don't think that this is a good idea a inline shooter with a scope can or will shoot 150-250 yds,and all those guys out there in camo,I think someone is going to get hurt.Now that I said that If they were to make it a traditional season and move it to the week before regular rifle season I'm all for that.DEC was also saying it would be doe only,I don't know about the rest of the state but we here in Delaware county or in and around the Margretville area we have NO!!! deer and it looks like there will be a big cut in the doe tags.All in all I think that if it were a traditional season without the inline's and the date moved to the week before the regular rifle and made buck or doe(But I don't think that will happen being that it would put it in the prime of the rut)I would give it my full support....Pete

The New York Bowhunters were heavily against the ML season and are well organized, if greedy and selfish.

The WV Bowhunters Association is the same way and they fought tooth and nail to keep us from getting a ML season. We had to go through the legislators to get a season.

And of course we got it in late Dec. after the bowhunters have had better than 2 months to hunt and after the anterless season too.

Chuck

And of course we got it in late Dec. after the bowhunters have had better than 2 months to hunt and after the anterless season too. Chuck

Almost seems like a token / after thought season assignment.
I'm very lucky here in North[url] Carolina...in[/url] part of the state, the October ML week is a gorgeous time of year to be in the woods and bucks are moving some.
But the other part of the state ML week opens in early November, right on top of the beginning of the rut and bucks are crusing the woods all day long, scent checking for does...I take two weeks vacation during the 2nd & 3rd weeks of November every year and hunt hard every day.
In either section, regardless of ML week or regular gun, all I hunt with is Flintlocks now...very enjoyable...can't get enough of those old fashioned things!
:redthumb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly, that's to be expected in the Ithaca area, Bob. The discussion's dominated by Cornell University types, professors and students. Nearly all are members of the self-appointed elite that knows what's best for everyone else :imo:. They're nothing if not vocal and damned articulate to boot.

Sacrificing rights & humble privileges for the "greater good" is what life in a 'Blue state' is all about in this new century. Still, there are some who haven't gotten used to it. Time to speak up, I guess.
Bob

I heard, Tuesday, that it was a done deal.....There will be a 3 day primitive weapon muzzleloader, doe only season before the archery season. The only thing that was uncertain was whether it will be all muzzleloaders or sidelocks or flintlocks only.

I'm all for it being flintlock only. :redthumb:
Wish it would be buck or doe too.

Just spoke with DEC & the 3 day season will start on Columbus day every year & archery season will start on the following Saturday. This gives a 2 day break in between muzzleloader & archery. It will be a antlerless only season. They are also researching the legal aspects of changing the description for muzzleloaders so that they could require flintlocks, patched round balls, open sights, etc.
This is all still pending approval though.

Just spoke with DEC & the 3 day season will start on Columbus day every year

Rats. Too early. My boat's still in the water then. ::

I wrote Commissioner Sheehan several times and at length and prodded, presented and pleaded for a "primative" early season (bow and muzzleloader - modern bows have little in common with traditional bows). My fingers are still crossed.

My favorite point: 7 days post-season for muzzleloaders vs. 45 days pre-season for archers and the fee is the same. :hmm:

But we can still use our m/l through regular season. :redthumb:

"But we can still use our m/l through regular season."

Not much of a solace for paying the extra $11 for a muzzleloader stamp.
S-I-G-H, I guess it's better than nothing, but surely is less than I hoped for.

Man of the Bald Mountain,

I went to the DEC website and there was NO mention of a season change, only more hearing dates. Did they actually SAY that the seasons were set?

-Ray :huh:

I spoke personally with a man(forgot his name) at DEC headquarters & he told me this information. He did say that it was now written, but not 100% untill approved. He said that it was a pretty sure thing though.
Give this number a call if you want to talk to them yourself. 518-402-8540

The official proposal calls for no early SZ season. The DEC did not get enough interest from the ML community. :cry:

Eric Bratt sent out an e-mail to those on his email list that it might be submitted seperatly to stand on it's own merits. (I personally think that the timing is not good for that this year.)

Maybe they didn't get any support from the muzzle loader community because 75% of the muzzle loader hunters are bow hunters as well !!

O well looks like they will never have a early m/l season in the southern zone,I hunted a couple of times in the late season,the deer are so spooked from the gun season seem a
m/l guy's are the only ones frezzing there butt off.I never ran across to many late bow hunter in the late season :m2c:

Latest posts

Back