• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Austin& Halleck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hellbent

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a new flintlock rifle. I have my eye on a 50 cal. 1/66 Austin& Halleck Mountain rifle. Has any one owned this model> Good points bad points. likes dislikes? I want to learn all I can before I spend the cash and then not be happy with it! Help!!!!!!!!!

Wayne :: :huh:

I've been shooting an Austin-Halleck for about a year and I really like it. In addition to being a good looking rifle it's accurate and backed well against problems by the manufacturer. The stock in mine had a minor split after almost a year and they replaced the entire gun. There's one on the[url] AuctionArms.com[/url] site for $400. :winking:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really like mine!! The lock speed is very inconsistant and that is the worst no-no a flintlock can do. In addition mine had a very poor crown and you couldn't keep the gun on paper at 100 yds until I recrowned it. I e-mailed the factory and never received a response.
P.S. I own a number of flints and do know how to make them work.

I bought one in percussion, stock had a few flaws, and it was full of i what think they call edge grain, not much to look at, but it was only one Sportsman Warehouse had so i took it. Got it home and it looked like they put the rear buckhorn site in using a chisel, it was all chewed up. Got a hold of the customer service, they said send it in and they will replace the stock and fix the rear site, that was 7 weeks ago, and i am still waiting, i have never even fired the gun yet so cant tell you how it shoots.

I have a caplock and fit and finish are great - it shoots real well and my lock is strong and consistent and smooth as glass - I got a upgraded stock and it is real purtty.. Absolutely no complaints :m2c:

I did have a fair amount to file on the front sight but no biggy :peace:

Got my gun back, rear site isnt much better, and the stock is a bigger piece of junk than i originally sent to them, has a dent in the bottom and the wood in the stock between the barrel and the lock is almost completely busted out. Never an Austin & Halleck again.

mooshkat: Quote"and the wood in the stock between the barrel and the lock is almost completely busted out."
When you say the stock is busted out, it sounds like shipping damage to me.
Have you called A&H and told them about it?
I'm sure there was insurance on shipping the gun, and they should be able to replace the stock etc for you at no cost.

Recieved an e-mail from Ray Crow, operations manager, he said bottom line is we will do whatever it takes, going to send me a replacement. Hope it dosent take another 8 weeks.

All the rifles I ever saw looked pretty crude and boxy to me. I think you can do better. Try looking at the Lyman Great Plains Rifles. I think Cabellas are still handling them.

I have both and the A&H blows the GPR away..
No contest not even close :m2c:

I have the .50 cal Lyman Great Plains Hunter in a caplock, and it's a great shooter. But it can't hold a candle to the A&H Mountain Rifle either in looks, or, from what I've been told, accuracy. Strange.

::

Latest posts

Back