• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Availability of Percussion Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few days ago our Walmart had some CCI #11’s and I got a couple packs.

Today, my favorite sport shop (who always manages to take some of my money) had some RWS 1075 caps. I got some of those too.

This morning I found a flint on the ground in front of my barn.

The flint was much cheaper.

Flintlocks rule.

How hard is it to buy Percussion caps in the US at the moment? I am from Sydney Australia and it is nigh on impossible to find any gun shop that has ANY size Percussion caps! Thankfully I always buy in bulk (cause nothing ever gets cheaper or easier to find), but many of my club members are getting pretty low.
Mate, I’m in Brissy and we are clean out everywhere, I’ve driven from Brissy to Cairns and hit every Gunshop in between. Same story. Best of luck.

My local shop has had them all along, started at $8 a tin, and have bumped up to $12. I recently bought some from my local Walmart for $5 a tin. They had 2 left yesterday but couldn’t sell me them since no one was in the Sporting Goods register. Fortunately, I have plenty.
Don't let that stop you. Take the caps up front to the self serve register. Scan one tin, they will card you to make sure you are of age, then scan the other, pay and leave.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Don't let that stop you. Take the caps up front to the self serve register. Scan one tin, they will card you to make sure you are of age, then scan the other, pay and leave.
Ohio Rusty ><>
They had them in a locked case and told they couldn’t sell anything from the case since no one was working sporting goods.

I didn't know Aussies couldn't buy US online. Shame. Georgia & Australia both started as British prison colonies. Love me some Bush Barbie.
We can buy online in the US, I just need to fill out several forms with the NSW Police to be able to import "Ämmunition or components" into the state, I am seriously considering doing this, I am the rifle captain for our muzzle loading club and I am sure that the members with cap locks would be happy to contribute to a bulk order. Even with the exchange rate at 0.65US to our dollar it would be worthwhile.

I am always up for a BBQ!

Have you thought about or looked to see if it's legal for you to make your own and if any of those kits are available to you? Some of us either do that or laid in the supplies to do so when needed.
Indy, a club member mentioned this to me on Sunday and I have looked into it and there are kits available online here, as long as you have a firearms licence it is not illegal to "manuracture"your own ammunition.

I didn't know Aussies couldn't buy US online. Shame. Georgia & Australia both started as British prison colonies. Love me some Bush Barbie.

We can buy from the US on-line (IF the supplier is willing to ship international) but not Ammo, Powder or the makings thereof, I assume that would include chemicals for Primers and Caps.

We can buy online in the US, I just need to fill out several forms with the NSW Police to be able to import "Ämmunition or components" into the state, I am seriously considering doing this, I am the rifle captain for our muzzle loading club and I am sure that the members with cap locks would be happy to contribute to a bulk order. Even with the exchange rate at 0.65US to our dollar it would be worthwhile.

I am always up for a BBQ!

G'day Swagman Im in SE Qld, thanks for the update let me know if youre open to an extra bloke in on the bulk order and I'll contribute.

G'day Swagman Im in SE Qld, thanks for the update let me know if youre open to an extra bloke in on the bulk order and I'll contribute.
G'day Coinneach, I will keep you in mind and keep you updated. I mostly shoot a flintlock rifle, my wife shoots a .50 cal TC New Englander, I find it amusing that it is much easier keeping a flinter going with flints than it is to get percussion caps!

G'day Coinneach, I will keep you in mind and keep you updated. I mostly shoot a flintlock rifle, my wife shoots a .50 cal TC New Englander, I find it amusing that it is much easier keeping a flinter going with flints than it is to get percussion caps!
I’ll jump in on that, and could probably get you more bodies too. Personally I don’t think they will but good luck on the venture SE Qld here

Caps are hard to find in Alaska too and stupid expensive when you can find them. I recently bought a kit from .22 Reloader and started making my own. They work great……
I just finished s batch using the mix from .22 Reloader and they do go off with a good bang but I haven't gone somewhere I can actually shoot with them. Are you using actual BP or substitute? I think I read somewhere that they don't have high enough temperature to ignite substitute BP. They are also dirtier than commercial caps.

Got one of those myself. Summer got here and I've been so busy I've not finished making a batch to try. Just need to mix up the chems and will prob use an additional binder to keep it in the cap.
The 1 part Duco and approx 8 parts Acetone liquid mixture has been very good for reliability of my caps. Pat Marlin is developing better dies to make tighter fitting cups currently also

Got one of those myself. Summer got here and I've been so busy I've not finished making a batch to try. Just need to mix up the chems and will prob use an additional binder to keep it in the cap.
I used acetone which is one of the suggestions. With 70-80 caps in an old CCI tin. I shook them pretty good for a couple minutes and they held up. My problem is that I like my MAC cappers and the aluminum bends to easy to put them in my capper. I ordered some 28 gauge copper from Amazon to see if that might work better but it hasn’t arrived yet. Will post to the thread once I make some with the copper material.

A few days ago our Walmart had some CCI #11’s and I got a couple packs.

Today, my favorite sport shop (who always manages to take some of my money) had some RWS 1075 caps. I got some of those too.

This morning I found a flint on the ground in front of my barn.

The flint was much cheaper.

Flintlocks rule.
I shoot a lot of flintlocks too but I do own percussion also. I like to shoot them all. As well as some old cowboy unmentionables…..primers are a problem.

Rhugg01 I have been using my own caps for years now. The prime I'm using is the same as the 22 reloader prime-all. I have to say that it works as well or better than any caps you can buy.They are all I use for Pyrodex and 777. Yes there is a cleanup to be done after shooting. It all comes off like anything else.No problem there. Cost and availability are where this wins out. If I'm using double wall pop cans for the cups ,I can make 100 for $.10. The priming about $.30 per 100. Cheap and I always have them. I am even starting to give out some at matches because some of the guys can't buy them anymore.

they should start making matchlocks again. no flint or cap problems just a piece of rope. hopefully 80 year old guys wone be buying all the rope in the country

I stopped at local Walmart this morning and the wall rack where they used to hang CCI caps for the past two years is gone and no caps to be seen anywhere. I bought a few tins a month ago - guess they are out but maybe not planning to stock anymore. Never can find anyone around to ask about them.

Well, the 28 gauge copper came in. Glad it was cheap. Too thick, too hard, and brittle. When I tried to make a cap with it, it broke off down inside the die and I had a dickens of a time getting it out. Back to aluminum cans unless I can find a much thinner piece of copper.

I just finished s batch using the mix from .22 Reloader and they do go off with a good bang but I haven't gone somewhere I can actually shoot with them. Are you using actual BP or substitute? I think I read somewhere that they don't have high enough temperature to ignite substitute BP. They are also dirtier than commercial caps.
I use actual black powder. Not fond of the substitutes. Guess I’m just old school. They are a little dirtier but it cleans up nicely so that’s not a real issue.
I did receive my 28 gauge copper. It’s too thick and too hard. Stick with the aluminum cans for now. I’m looking for thinner copper but not sure I’ll find any.

Back