• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Back-up flints

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot think of a time I had to change flints when hunting,and only a time or two on a trail walk, and these were anticipated as I was working on a well used flint when the trail started.I would be comfortable with one spare when hunting, none if I was using one of my spauls which had more than one usable edge. I suspect we all carry more of many things trhan we need, I have noticed the list of "gotta haves" growing smaller over the years.

tg said:
I cannot think of a time I had to change flints when hunting,and only a time or two on a trail walk, and these were anticipated as I was working on a well used flint when the trail started.I would be comfortable with one spare when hunting, none if I was using one of my spauls which had more than one usable edge. I suspect we all carry more of many things trhan we need, I have noticed the list of "gotta haves" growing smaller over the years.
I must agree TG,
I'm sure I carry too much "Stuff" while hunting.

Oh, Yeah. The amount of stuff I carry keeps getting less every year I go out. I have accepted that process as the natural order of things. Wisdom comes with both age, and a bad back, or knees. :rotf: :thumbsup:

I always wondered how those gun writers could have pictures taken of them going out to hunt some big game animal, and the only ammo they carried was what was in the gun, or maybe a couple of extra shells in a pocket. NOW, I understand. :shocked2: :hmm: :hatsoff:

If that works for you, its fine with me.

However, a soft leather wallet protects the edges of the flints, by keeping them from banging together, or with anything else. In addition to the individual pockets for each flint, my wallet wraps around the pockets 3-4 times-- more like a tool roll, than a cash wallet-- to give added protection to the flint edges, when its resting in the bottom of my hunting pouch, with a variety of metal tools.

After all, its the edge that does the work, and what you are paying all that money for when you buy flints. It makes little sense(cents?) to pay more than $1.00 per flint, and then have the edges chipped away during storage and transportation.

Just something to think about. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

I got one of those flint/tool pouches from TOW and like it. Carry one in each of my bags. And though I've never needed to change a flint while hunting, I have had a brand new one shatter on me after the first shot while practicing, so I carry spares.

And yes, I carry too much stuff afield but I like to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I try to anticipate the "what if's." Some laugh but I have it when needed. I've always been that way, going on 62 this October, and since I'm the one toating it, who cares?

I keep threatening to carry extra flints but I must confess I don't until recently. I have a wallet that is carried in my range box so there's no problems there at the range. I hunt with a fresh flint and expect no problem there although I guess one could crop up.

I just oiled a piece of elk leather that fits folded inside my patchbox of my .36 cal which contains cleaning jags a small piece of flint leather and one of Rich Pierce flints, just in case.

I guess I should do the same with my .58.

Back