• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bad caps?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to shoot my gun for the first time today and I am having problems with the caps. Most of the time they fire on the second time the hammer falls once in a great while the first time and some times 3 or 4 times. Is this an issue with the caps or something else? They are cci #11 and are about 6 months old. thanks

If they eventually fire there is nothing wrong with the caps.

Your nipple may be worn - squished out so the cap isn't seating properly so the hammer isn't "whacking" it well enough the first time (that would be the number 1 thing I would check)

The hammer may not be hitting the nipple squarely - not overly common but the tumbler could be getting worn and the hammer isn't smacking "dead on", but at a slight angle.

If this is a drum type percussion, the drum might be a hair loose and has twisted the nipple out of geometry with the hammer. If that's the issue then you only need tighten the drum to get the nipple lined back up with the hammer.

But do check for a toasted nipple. If any doubt at all about it's condition, change it - they only run about 5 bucks or so...

Galamb covered all of the possibilities except the possibility that the main spring may be weak. That is not a highly likely thing but is a possibility. I have a mule ear plains rifle that has a coil spring. It had the same symptoms. After studying the problem and trying all of the things that came to mind, I changed the main spring and it solved the problem. The most common reason for this problem of caps not firing on the first drop of the hammer is a damaged nipple from dry firing it. Dry firing will mushroom out the tip of the nipple and the cap won't fit down properly. These nipples can usually be repaired by putting the threaded end of the nipple in an electric drill, running it slowly and using a fine file to dress down the sides of the nipple to remove the mushroomed edges. Once the mushroomed part is dressed down, the nipple will work fine. :thumbsup:

Oh, something else just occurred to me. If you over tighten the lock bolt(s) it can cause the lock to become misaligned with the stock and it will not strike the nipple squarely. Lock bolts need to be just snug, not cranked down like head bolts on an automobile engine.

This is a new build and the nipple is new. I did try pulling the hammer back a little farther back and dropping it and that did help. I hope it isnt the main spring because it is a new lock. On a side note the gun shoots great when it fires

On a new gun, make sure the hammer isn't contacting the stock. Same goes for the lock internals. Make sure nothing is rubbing.

May simply be caps/nipple mismatch. If they're not a good fit, the cap doesn't seat all the way down on the nipple and may need multiple hammer falls to set it off. Try a different brand(s) of cap.

Try fully seating a cap by gently lowering the hammer and applying pressure. Cock the gun and see if it fires.

+1 for Bakeoven Bill. I had the stock swell once after a lot of rain and my caps wouldn't go bang. I tried 'bout everything when I noticed a rub mark on the stock behind the hammer. I tried backing off the screw but the wood had swollen too much and I had to relieve (we call it whittle here) down the stock so the hammer would pass. I still have the rifle, you but can still see where I "repaired" it in the field. :doh:

Eterry

IF, the hammer is hitting the nipple squarely & they are not going off, could be the hammer is not going down quite far enough. Could be the stop in the mechanism, could be wood binding it someplace in the lock inlet. Could be all you need is a taller nipple.

Also, nipples are shaped different. :doh: :rotf: :idunno: Yes, even on percussion rifles ! :rotf: I have seen some you had to push the cap on & fire it twice to get it to fire, because the cap didn't go down on the nipple far enough. It took 2-3 snaps to fire the cap. Changed to a Hot-Shot nipple & that fixed it.

Keith Lisle

Like Keith said, nipples are different~ try inlet black on the nipple, then let the hammer down....then look inside the hammer cup, see if you have a nice nipple print :rotf: :grin:

man....I need to go home i think!

The nipple should have a knife sharp edge. Many "new" nipples aren't really sharp on the edge. Also nipples vary in diameter and it sounds like your caps need to be "hammered" onto the nipple before they will fire.! :idunno:

One other thing I just remembered. Make sure the lock bolt isn't protruding thru the lock plate and impeding the hammer.

I had the same problem with cci #11. Two guns it was the same thing. The caps are too small. Put the nipples in a drill and filed them down alittle. No problems since.

If you just feel like throwing money at something, try using those German 1076's. They are larger and, on a tight nipple, will loosen the fit for sure. I had the same problem and they definitely put the spark in. :wink:

Had the same problem on the first cva,kit I put together brand new build. Tried everything mentioneded even heated the hammer and aligned it to struck it square. Turned out to be a weak main spring. Just work thru the things mentioned above you'll :doh: :doh: :doh: getter done

Back