• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball or conical

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crocket, I have killed a good number of elk using .54 rb's, but have never used any kind of conical. However, I have been witness to two bulls that were killed with conicals. One with .54 maxiball, and one with a .50 sabot, and quite honestly, I could see no noticeable difference in the way the elk behaved after the shot, as compared to rb's (i.e. dying faster, running less, etc).

As far as rb's have performed for me on elk, most shots have been in the chest, and the elk usually walk off slowly, stop, and then fall.

I would not want to hunt anything elk/moose size with a rb smaller than .54, though I know it can be done by a diciplined hunter. Bill

This is my first post here on the board,,but have read through the thread, only own 2 black powder rifles now, a left hand TC 54 and an Under hammer 8 bore.

Have no time in with the 54, but the 8 bore I have used to hunt pigs with, largest taken was just over 200lbs

I used the old English hold of on the shoulder and put a 1100 grain ball backed by 210ffg clean through the beast at about 60 meters, a tad far for the 8, but it did the job

I have shot a lot of elk and deer,antelope and several buff all with round balls and have had no problems with penetration. I have 2 buff skulls on the roof or my shop that have holes in the forehead from a 54 at about 50 yds, both went clean through these 5 year old cows skulls and one ended up about a foot into the hump.I rarely recover a ball from anything I shoot. I shot my buff last year at the base of the skull with my 54 and the ball shattered the vertebrae and kept going.

I never tried smoking a rabbit, but can't see it why smoking with round balls would be more flavoresome than smoking with conicals!! :haha:

.50 cal with a 370 maxi-ball on elk is going to do its job.

a rb is too but the .54 cal rb would be much better even tho my gun of choice is .50 cal because of things i like not it being a better killer on elk.

under 100 yds, i feel no elk is walking away from a .50 cal.

Back