• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ball size for 1860 pietta 44 cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got a used 1860 Army Pietta at an auction.....what size balls should I use.......451 or.454 ?

Typically the 454 works well, the 451 may not shave the ring on all the cylinders.
If you have a caliper measure the cylinders. Mine had two cylinders that where just at 451,,

Shaving .0015 or more off the perimeter of the ball as it's loaded is easy.

^^^
what he said

unless you have an overly large chamber don't use the .457 as they will overly stress the loading lever and you will break it mid load some day down the road.

^^^^THIS^^^^

What they BOTH said, lol!

And just as a safety note--please be sure to put caps on every nipple that has a chamber loaded with powder. This avoids chain-firing.

Enjoy that revolver! 20-27 grains of FFFg should do just fine. I use 27 gr. along with a wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball to shoot both the 25 & 50 yard aggregates needed for the NRA Qualifiers. Great gun that 1860!

Dave

I was at a very well known BP shop and they recommended 451....now, I'm thinking ,I should use 454 to make sure ea cyl shaves some lead to avoid a chain fire.
Thanks for the responses.

9945 said:
I was at a very well known BP shop and they recommended 451....now, I'm thinking ,I should use 454 to make sure ea cyl shaves some lead to avoid a chain fire.

while .451 balls work in some revolvers the .454 work in most.

-matt

9945 said:

Chain fires mostly come from the back end (uncovered nipples on loaded chambers), but it's always a good idea to shave some lead as the balls are going into the chambers. Under recoil some under-sized balls MAY slip/ride forward in the chamber(s)and you'll first notice this when trying to cock the hammer for the next shot(s), for the cylinder will refuse to turn until you either bang to balls back down with a short starter & Mallet or dis-assemble the revolver to rotate said chamber back under the rammer.

In either case, always remember to uncap the nipples at the firing line so you can do this safely. I always carry a pocket knife for little things that come-up, and THIS is one of those times.

Enjoy that wheelgun and if you think you want to see our League in NJ make smoke, shoot me a PM for details....you're closer than you might think!

Dave

I have been using the .451 balls, and they seem to shave a nice little ring off. They also load quite hard, indicating they are tight in the cylinder.
I can't imagine recoil bringing any of them out.
dc

I shoot the .454 but I did try the .457 loaded with a arbor press! It shot no better and needed a extra step. I shoot 20 grains of powder and I love the pistol but it shoots 18 inches high at 25 yards. Getting the front sight higher is on the to do list for 2013! Geo. T.

Latest posts

Back