• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baltic Snaphaunce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arilar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Wanted to share some pics on a Swedish-produced snaphaunce. Overall length 29½ inch. barrel 15 inch and caliber 16 mm(smooth-bored). Any suggestions on aprox. period it can have been made? We usually call this weapons "sledge-guns".
IMG_1140.jpg

IMG_1141.jpg

Regards,
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Nice pictures,thanks for posting a most interesting weapon. :applause: As to answering your question-sorry I don't know.Some of these weapons were made into the late 19th century for the sportsman.Although the lockwork and Bore betray a much earlier possiable military role and manufacture than the 1800's.Good luck in research :winking: .

The following is from #235 Men-At-Arms Series; "The Army Of Gustavus Adolphus. 1 INFANTRY" under an illustration of a full sized musket with the a very similar lock:

"Musket with a Swedish snaplock (early flintlock). They were issued in bulk in the 1620's, and not just to artillery and bodyguards as in other armies; this was partly because of difficulties in Sweden of obtaining the huge quantities of match needed for matchlock weapons. As early as 1621 Wallhausen thought them 'discardable antiquities', and recommended more reliable matchlocks in their place; Gustavus made great efforts to replace them for the 1630's."

The musket illustrated is listed as "Caliber 19.6mm, barrel length 118.5cm. Proofmarks suggest manufacture at Jonkoping in the 1620's".

This doesn't mean the gun you photographed is of the same period but this seems to be a starting place for figuring a time period for it. Neat gun though. Thanks for showing it!

Interesting wear pattern; been in the sledge for a few winters that one!

Could it be shortened and the stock re-styled from a military musket? The wooden patchbox cover and butt profile doesn't look military, but the left side view opposite the lock has a very military-musket feeling about it.

Oh, and I want to say - its a BEAUTY. I would love to find something like that.

The barrel has a mark that belongs to "Sundsvalls Gevärsfaktori" (rifle-factory). This factory was working from 1622 until around 1676. From 1645 the factory was allowed to take orders from "civilians" and not as earlier only the government. The barrel is also marked "TD" that is often found on barrels from Sundsvall.
IMG_1143.jpg

IMG_1142.jpg

Those closeup photos silently speak of history.Wish the gun could be audible and tell us it's story!Thank you for posting! :thumbsup:

That gun gets even better with each photo, thanks for sharing!

Is it my imagination or are there marks in the stock between the rear of the triggerguard and the ring? Almost looks like M119 or something. Could be just some nicks in the wood but awful suspicious! The one mark looks like a 'S' overlaid on a 'L'. I'll look though my limited info and see if I can find anything else. Thanks again for showing that nifty gun.

This really is an interesting musket - and extremely difficult to date. It seems to have a lot in common with what we in Norway call samegevær (lapplanders gun). These were produced in snaphaunce from the early 1600's to the mid 1800's. The ones made after the 1840-50' were very simular to the snaphaunce models, but were in percussion - slagsnaphane I believe they were called in Sweden, where most of them were made. These had a way smaller cailbre than the musket in this thread and were rifled.

samegevrsg9.jpg

The rifle on the picture is a typical samegevær from the late 1800's. It has a rifled bore of only 6,5 mm. It does not have a shoulder stock, but a really old fashioned and completely outdated cheek stock (in most of Europe these went out of production by the early 1700's). It has the typical design where the ramrod lies in the stock so it will not be stuck due to ice, etc.

Then back to the musket in question. The design and carving of the stock (except the lid for the "leddik") seems fairly "modern" in design and I would guess some time around the mid 1800's. The mentioned lid has a design that brings it way back to the first half of the 1700's. The musket seems to have a butt plate. Guns like this hardly ever had these before way out in the late 1700's.

I have not seen or tried to check any markings. The barrel does not have the typical ring 1/3 down that most Northern muskets had until the 1750's, so I would guess this to be less than 250 yo. I am pretty sure this is a cut down military barrel from the early second half of the 1700's, perhaps from a M1762, thereby "confirming" that this version of the gun was assembled in the early 1800's. The lock might be from any time up to about 1850 and seems to be in an excellent condition compared to the rest of the gun. The amount of use it should have seen, had it been the oldest part of the gun, should have been very noticable.

Guns were expencive and people were poor. Many of these guns were used over generations and they saw a lot of wear and tear. New stocks were fitted as the old ones broke. Another and seemingly better barrel was taken into use etc. There are very few of these old civilian long guns left in original condition. This might therefor be a musket assembled for second or third time, that originally started out as a rifle with a cheek stock as the one on the picture.

Trond

Arilar, have you asked Magnus Wiberg about the firelock? He's a member of this forum, but I haven't seen him post recently, so he may be too busy to play on the computer. You may have to contact him through his website http://www.musketandrifle.nu/

Joel

Joel/Calgary said:
Arilar, have you asked Magnus Wiberg about the firelock? He's a member of this forum, but I haven't seen him post recently, so he may be too busy to play on the computer. You may have to contact him through his website http://www.musketandrifle.nu/

Joel
Joel...DONT WANNA DISTURBE MAGNUS!!!! :cursing:
He is for the moment veeeery busy working om my guns. IF YOU READ THIS MAGNUS, HURRY BACK TO THE SHOP!!! I will be at your front-yard in a couple of weeks!!!! :rotf: :rotf:
BTW. Snaphaunces is one of Magnus favourites. :winking:

IMG_1216.jpg

IMG_1215.jpg

Just wanted to add some pictures. Trond, some details makes it possible to date the gun maybe a bit earlier than you think :v . Barrel seems to be shortened but for sure produced at Sundsvalls Factory. Caliber 16 mm makes it to small to "fit in" for most later military muskets.
Guess it remains a mystery :hmm:

I'm learning that the less "fancy" the gun, the harder it is to date. People tend to stay with the things that are practical and functional. Also, if it's military, the old military conservatism gets its licks in.

I have to do a "me too" - that's a great piece; thanks for posting the photos.

Hello Arilar,
I haven´t been in here for quite a while now.
But now that I´m here my mouth is watering at the sight of this little "sledge gun", and yes, the snaphaunce really is a favorite with me.
As we talked on the phone just a while back, you know I´m working on your guns, as well as still another match lock musket for a customer up north in the country.

Good evening , Bookie , my friend.
I would like to very much. Only, I don´t know how to add a picture here.

magnus wiberg in sweden said:
But now that I´m here my mouth is watering at the sight of this little "sledge gun", and yes, the snaphaunce really is a favorite with me.

Hi Magnus, hopefully coming down to you for a visit within a month. Will bring the sledge-gun for you to take a closer look at. :grin:

magnus wiberg in sweden said:
Only, I don´t know how to add a picture here.

E-mail them to me and I do it for you Magnus..If problems for you phone me this weekend and we figure it out. :v

Hejsan Magnus! Just home from the 9th World Championship Over The Log Shoot. Did not win, but I did shoot better than last year. Got to handle a nice snaphaunce while there. I can also post your photos for you. The photos you wish to post need to be first posted into an album that you set up on the Photobucket. com site. Then when you type a post on this site, click on the little box that has the sun og mountains on it. Then you will get a pop-up box that asks for the photograph's address in photobucket. Type the address in and the image will be placed in your post. MVH, Bookie

Hi Bookie,
for hours now I´ve been trying different ways of getting some selected pictures into the air .
But it just doesn´t seem I´m the man to handle a computor.
I got them pics into a Photobucket album, but after that , I just can´t figure.....
Now my last hope is Arilar, who will come here in a near future and pick up some guns I restored for him, and maybe he can show me how to handle this mystrious contraption...

Back