• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Baltic Snaphaunce

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Relax Magnus, I will pay you a visit this coming weekend! :v
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Bookie and the list,
with the help of Arilar and some more trial and error, I´ll try to post a mail WITH a picture.There is no description to the picture, but it WILL follow if this comes out alright.....!?
Magnus

jukkasjrvilodbssan003.jpg

ok new guy at stuff before flint lock; what is the diffrence between snaplock, snaphaunce and arcqubus i read an artical in the backwoodsman about a snaplock the writer built the parts for the lock from some scrap pice of ibeam and spring steal could you do that with a flintlock just courious? on a forum like this you realise how much you don't know.

ramrod slinger said:
what is the diffrence between snaplock, snaphaunce and arcqubus

Probably oversimplified, but here goes :thumbsup:

Snaplock is like a flintlock but has the cock pivot much further back. Snaphaunce is like a flintlock but has a seperate pan cover that opens as the hammer falls, you carry it safe with the frizzen open. Arquebus is a gun rather than an lock, but possibly typified by a snapping matchlock mechanism.

I´d say a major difference is the snaplock has no tumbler inside the lockplate. Also the main spring is at the outside of the lockolate.
Only the "sear" is working inside the plate at a snaplock and a small touth protruding thru a small hole and engaging the cock at the outer surface.

Magnus

Trond,

I have a question about the samegevaer that you posted a picture of. Why is it such a small calibre? 6.5 mm seems rather tiny.

I love that sledge gun. Just what I need, another project..

Brian

Any info on the trigger release??It seems that
the trigger is directly under the slot on the
lock plate..Doesn't seem like the double sear
arrangement of the snaphaunce or wheel lock..
Would appreciate any info as I intend to build
one similar...Wulf Thanks in advance,

Any info on the trigger release??It seems that
the trigger is directly under the slot on the
lock plate..Doesn't seem like the double sear
arrangement of the snaphaunce or wheel lock..
Would appreciate any info as I intend to build
one similar...Wulf Thanks in advance,
Wow another old post and another mystery!!!! I too would love to see and understand the sear mechanism on this. Perhaps the sear lever remains in the same plane as the trigger and the pivot point is forward. Maybe a bevel on the sear so that rearward pressure on the trigger moves the opposite end of the trigger forward pushing along the bevel and moving the sear catch into the lock plate? Anyone have a pic of the inside of one of these locks?

IMG_5310.png

This is a diagram from Bair’s “European and American Arms” which oddly enough I was reading today! The sear has a strange “Z” shape and the transfer bar looks like it projects horizontally as is typical. How pressure on the bar causes the sear at “A” to move back through the plate I’m still not clear on. This differs a bit from the pics earlier in the post where the single main spring/battery spring is on the outside of the lock plate but I bet that release is the same. Anyway if anyone has a pic of that sucker post it here!
IMG_5311.png

Were the pan covers opened manually on some of these?
That appears to be the case. I've seen photos of some of these locks where some have the pan cover (a carry-over from the matchlock period) and others that don't have the cover. Apparently, the combination of the pan cover and the frizzen (battery) in the forward position acted as a safety.

The artist detail on Post # 32 and my lock on Post # 36 have a unique feature the frizzen can be turned to the right while still covering the pan. Another variation of a safety.

Rick

Back