• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bambette Meets Heartbreaker

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntinfool

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I shot Bambi's sister! :cry: :cry:

One .490 roundball through both lungs she dropped in her tracks. When the smoke cleared all I could see was her kickin' once or twice. I'm allowed about 4 more does we got too many of them!

I couldn't decide which pic was best ya'll tell me what ya think!
Doe0507.jpg

Doe0509.jpg

Doe0510.jpg

YMH&OS, :redthumb:
Chuck

Very Cool that one should be mighty tasty. Nice shootin iron there too. Good luck on fillin your freezer with some more tasty morsells. :thumbsup: The 2nd pict is the best one. :imo:

Congrats. Second pic it shows the rifle and bag better. Did you build the rifle?

Great shooting Sir! Now you have fresh venison. Mmmmm.... venison.

I like pic#2 also. That is a very pretty rifle. Wanna tell us about it?

Congrats on a fine hunt! I like pic #2 and would also like to hear about the rifle.

People can brag about their monster bucks all they want, when it comes to eating them you got the cream of the crop. That looks like some excellent steaks and roasts to me.....

Picture #2 is really great. What a nice looking rifle and possibles... Also, congratulations on getting one of the tags filled.

Nice lookin' rifle too! What load and what are particulars on the longrifle? Picture #2 looks good.

Ok Fellers since ya asked so nice I'll tell ya all about her. To start with there's a thread in the pic section "Flinters in Progress 21 pics" of her in the process of being built. It also explains why I tell people she's a Cadillac of guns. :crackup:

I traded a 91 Cadillac Seville for her and the matching pistol. Bob Walden of Poca, WV built her custom for me she fits my short pull length perfect. We are both still tickled to death with our trade. I consider him more than a friend he's my mentor and I respect him as a father figure.

She's a copy of the gun presented to George Washington when he became President by the Committee of Safety, a JP Beck rifle. She and her sister the pistol both handle the same ball and patch equally as well.

The rifle I call "Ole Number 7, or sometimes "Ole Heartbreaker" cause the 1st 4 deer I tagged with her had a hole in their heart. I call her "Ole Number 7" cause she and her sis have one inlay it's an oval silver thumb plate with a 7 engraved on it. I was born 7-7 53 and 7 seems to be God's perfect number. That's the only personal thing on them!

I load her with a .490 ball 15 thousandths ticking patch over approximately 65 grains of Swiss FFFg measured by volume. I prime with FFFFg Goex.

She'll hold em in one ragged hole off the bench at 50 yards if'n you do your part. She has a 44" tapered Douglas barrel fitting as I live within 7 miles of Douglas Barrels. Her sis has an Ed Rayl barrel, also fitting because when Douglas quit making ML barrels they sold their equipment to Ed Rayl up in Braxton CO. WV! The wood for both guns came from a maple tree cut and cured near Elkins WV. She wears a Chambers Improved Siler lock and I love her maybe you could tell! :redthumb:

I made the bag, my wife finger wove the strap. Bob made the horn and scrimshawed it there's a matching priming horn inside the bag. Bob also made me the knife for Christmas last year. The handle's made out of some antlers I had given him earlier. It was to replace the one lost during deer season last year. A friend dropped it and we looked for 2 days for it. It was the first knife I ever made.

Bob Walden was with me yesterday he saw the doe and another deer but couldn't get a clear shot. I took a shot at about 70 yards or so through a small 4" hole in the screen of brush. That's one thing that I've found round balls don't buck the brush very well at all. One little twig the size of a pencil will send them way off course. :imo: :results:

Back by unanimous vote.

Doe0509.jpg

I also use a walking/shooting stick. It helps to negociate the steep hills here in WV and to steady the shot.

Doe0518.jpg

Chuck

"I was born 7-7 53 and 7 seems to be God's perfect number. That's the only personal thing on them!"

Well I have to agree since I was born on the same numbers *G*

Nice deer and pic#2 is the best. Very nice looking rifle to.

Congrats
IronMan

People can brag about their monster bucks all they want, when it comes to eating them you got the cream of the crop. That looks like some excellent steaks and roasts to me.....

No matter how long you marinate them, antlers still taste like manure...nice piece of veal you whacked there, brother!

Did you ever shoot at the Mountaineer Flintlock Rifles range on Bills Creek? I used to shoot there with Bob Walden and others. My "deer" rifle also has a Douglas barrel .45, Bob Roller percussion lock and triggers...nice deer for eat'n.

Congrates on bambis sister . Boy one more possible bag u would had covered her up !!!! Hey not being mean but my olady just asked if you used shoe polish to cover the spots!!!!Besided you cant eats horns and i like them tender small back straps . Just need a lot of tags to fill the freezer

Yea Bootlegger,

I did back in the early 70s. I took a long break off from ML just got back into it 4 or 5 years ago.

Bob's one of my best friends he builds a pretty nice rifle.

By the way have you heard about the new range. Mountaineer Flintlock Rifles Inc. is still up and running our new range is about 2 miles up Coal River Road.

YMH&OS, :thumbsup:
Chuck

Oh well Olgreenhead,

Tell yer olady as you put it that I said in my defence when their 75 yards away in the thick brush sometimes ya just got to shootem to see how big OR little they are. LOL!

When they're out there all by their lonesome it's kinda hard to tell with nothing to judge by. Plus two more steps and she'd a been gone had to decide and act quick to get her. Had some of her backstraps this evening yum yum she was fork cuttin' tender!

But what the Hay if I'd of known she was a small one I still would've killed her. It's better in my freezer than smashed out in front of my house like her sis or mother got just 2 days ago. I wish I'd got her in my sights before she got hit.

Chuck

:applause: Looks good to me!!! Wish I had that set up.Good eating there.

oneshot 1

Heck she means no harm ive shot my far share of little ones. But you got one up on me u used a flintlock

Back