• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

banning our .50 muzzleloaders???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy. My apologies, but I have to rant:

Make no mistake; the politicians who are anti-gun KNOW that banning firearms will affect crime only in making it worse. They KNOW law abiding people are not criminals. So therein is the clue: those who are anti gun are anti liberty, and they fear law abiding citizens. Have we not seen how well criminals are treated by the same people who would punish any regular person with draconian laws?

What I am getting at is that while many police officers are good people, there are also quite a few who have no respect, and even have contempt, for civil liberties. Many new officers are products of our dumbed down/indoctrination centers called schools. Remember that most dictatorships have been assisted by

Flaming Canvas, You have of course identified the source of the problem--a deliberate misreading of the text, which refers to laws "necessary and proper" to carry out the powers vested in the national government. That language cannot properly be read to expand those powers.
Would't you agree that the anti-federalists were 100% correct, contrary to what our yankee-dominated education system taught us from high school civics through law school? The promises which Hamilton and the other Federalists made about limited government in the ratification debates were quickly broken, and the protections embodied in the Virginia and Kentucky resolutions were crushed in 1865. We now debate the meaning of the Second Amendment; when we do that we conceed the power of government to disarm us unless the amendment grants us a right. The Federalists promised us we didn't need a bill of rights because no one could ever read into the Constitution the power to infringe on those rights.
We should have listened to Patrick Henry, and Lee should have gone around Meade's left flank at Gettysburg.

Wrong, they had to turn them in to their local PD with no refund what so ever. Yes this bill was past by the "Terminator" or "Kindergarden Cop" .

Funny I just saw a recent Monster Garage where Jesse shot up a failed attempt (car) with his .50cal rifle. And they made a point of saying not to worry folks, that Jesse was all legal, he bought the rifle before the ban.

well I don't know just what i've heard, maybe he got a special license or something

Well I've been reading this thread for awhile, and as I was getting ready to reply, when my bran new .75 cal Brown Bess was delivered by UPS without even haveing to sign for it.God Bless the 2nd admenment. :master: The same law was tryed here in Illinois last year and was killed dead as a door nail, not by lawmakers but by an agrisseve letter writing campagin. It would have ban any wepon over 50 cal, including 20gage and up shotguns, blackpowder guns 50 cal and up, as well as high powered rifles. Alls this law would have done is make law abiding gunowners into criminals. Enforce the laws we already have, is the message we should be sending congress or we will vote your asses OUT!!!!!!
As far as particapating in open rebellion against our goverment? You can do that every 2 years at the polls. DO'NT JUST TALK, VOTE!!! And encourage others to vote also.
Wil

But most of the people who are voting, are less informed less intelligent then the people they are voting for. Most people have no real clue as to how to protect there rights, and most just vote for the guy with the same church/sport/beer association as them.
But if we could find an intelligent anti gun-control person who feels everyone should have a 4 bore shotgun in every closet we would have a good leader.

....my bran new .75 cal Brown Bess was delivered by UPS without even haveing to sign for it.

Personally I'm never comfortable with that "no signature" approach...the down side potential is they could leave it at the wrong address... :shocking:

The proven "Liberal-Activist" tactics:

PROTECT VIOLENT CRIMINALS,

SCREW LAW ABIDING CITIZENS.

Without their criminals, they are nothing. They need them like air to breathe to accomplish their goal:

GAINING TOTAL POWER TO SUBUGATE THE POPULATION.

This is as plain for everyone to see.

Mean while there has only been TWO accounts of a black powder firearm EVER being used in a felony. Both were pistols, one single shot, one revolver.

Ooo! Ooo! I can name them both: John Wilkes Booth used a single shot to shoot President Lincoln in the back of the head, and Jack McCall used a revolver to shoot Wild Bill Hickock, also in the back of the head.

Hard to believe those were the only two felonies with blackpowder pistols. :hmm:

As Ben Franklin said "If we do not hang together we shall surely hang separately" . That's not necessarily the exact quote, but it is correct in spirit.

But who was it that said: "Moderation in all things."

Well, if those two are correct, than there are at least three. I seem to remember some guy with a BP (a revolver, I think) gun taking hostages and killing at least one person at some sort of mental hospital in PA a few years back.

Several of you folks noticed it and made comments, but several others seemed to think "it's no skin off my nose" after reading this quote from the proposed law:

d) 50 Caliber Sniper Weapon- The term `50 caliber sniper weapon' means a rifle capable of firing a center-fire cartridge in 50 caliber, .50 BMG caliber, any other variant of 50 caliber, or any metric equivalent of such calibers.'.

would you re-read this:

d) 50 Caliber Sniper Weapon- The term `50 caliber sniper weapon' means a rifle capable of firing a center-fire cartridge in 50 caliber, .50 BMG caliber, any other variant of 50 caliber, or any metric equivalent of such calibers.'.

As I said in my earlier post, it depends on how poorly it is written.
Your .50 caliber TC Hawkin, your .50 caliber GPR and your .50 caliber Custom Green mountain barrled guns all come under this laws defination of a sniper weapon, by law, if this thing is passed with the current wording.

As for muzzleloaders being "non-guns", I disagree.
All the laws I've seen recognize muzzleloaders as guns, however they are specifically exempted from coverage of the various laws which are on the Federal books.

I think we are all preaching to the choir when we condem this proposed law, and the people who created it on technical and Constitutional merit, but let us not loose sight of the need to stop it now .

I dont know if any of you get Shotgun News but they had an articale about a new 1911 that takes a new .50 pistol round.

Also just a note my .44 model 1860 Colt Navy BP revolver is armour peircing. I have an old washing machine that I painted some targets on and it penitrates though at 25yds with 30 grains of powder and a lead ball. ::

I dont know if any of you get Shotgun News but they had an articale about a new 1911 that takes a new .50 pistol round.

Also just a note my .44 model 1860 Colt Navy BP revolver is armour peircing. I have an old washing machine that I painted some targets on and it penitrates though at 25yds with 30 grains of powder and a lead ball. ::

Sorry to burst your bubble, but washing machine panels....they are pretty thin material, doesn't take much to penetrate them.....you need plate steel that isn't mild....see how that does.

Like zonnie said, if you let them have one they will want all of them. The way to stop them is to get off your soapboxes and sit down at a table and write those boys that are sponcering this bill. There was a list of who they are at the begining of this thread. I seen my congressmans name on there and I emailed him yesterday, expressing my horror at his being a part of such an unconstatuional bill. And then I quted the 2nd admenment to him just incase he forgot.
Don't just talk, particapate ln the process.
Wil

Sorry to burst your bubble, but washing machine panels....they are pretty thin material, doesn't take much to penetrate them.....you need plate steel that isn't mild....see how that does.

That's what our troops were forced into using to beef up the doors on the HumVees according to the news services.

(On the other hand, my uncle went across Europe in a canvas top jeep or duce-and-a-half transport truck).

Anyway, I will write my representative but before I get all bent, we are looking at (d) without seeing (a) through (c) or (f) through (m) as to the definitions of "rifle" and specifically ".50 Caliber Sniper Rifle". These are ammendments to existing laws, so if Sub-section (a) of Section 5845 is headed "Centerfire Rifles", it is less alarming than if it is titled "All Firearms".

Anyone know a link to the existing
Subsection (a) of section 5845 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (defining firearm)
?

I just wrote Senator Chuck Schumer and voiced my concers, explaining how .50 caliber has been common since the 1750's and is embraced by sportsmen and reenactors using muzzleloaders. We'll see.

I just wrote Senator Chuck Schumer and voiced my concers, explaining how .50 caliber has been common since the 1750's and is embraced by sportsmen and reenactors using muzzleloaders. We'll see.
The honorable senator from New York would ban all fire arms if he could. He was with the ban of all center fire guns with more power than a 30/30. :shocking:
Lehigh...

Yeah. He's a peach.

We've also got Hillary Clinton, who attended a Broadway show once and was able to find New York on a map, and so was fully qualified to be a New York senator. She did have the criminal background required on her resum

No offense taken WindWalker, it's all part of a discussion. I have no problem whatsoever with the feds going after pedifiles and breaking down their compounds.

When if ever was anyone in the Branch Davidian Compound legally indicted for that crime? If they were, how does that involve the BATF?

How true, that's why for the life of me I can't understand why someone would want to own one. Except maybe to shoot at planes, shoot through bullet proof vests and armored vehicles, or hit a target 1000's of yards out.

Why do you need to understand what someone else does or enjoys doing? Do you know how many murders have been committed with .50 caliber sniper rifles by anyone other than law enforcement officers?

For that matter why would anyone need a Lambourghini, a bassboat with a 100 hp motor, a satellite receiver capable of picking up hundreds channels, a samauri sword (which was strictly designed to kill people), or microwave oven?

There are lots of things that I wouldn't necessarily want to own, but it's none of my effin business if someone else who can legally own one wants to. Spouting this nonsense is the best thing you can do for those who would ban every gun there is. As for the second amendment you either support it or you don't, there's no middle ground. If you trust our government, talk to a Native American about their promises to not take everything.

Remember there are people out there who don't understand why you would want to shoot a muzzleloader or cap and ball revolver. Many of them are gun owners who are not questioning your right to own the gun of your choice.

There have been 2 murders here in Connecticut with black powder revolvers since we moved here 10 years ago. One of those was just 3 years ago. Those would count as felonies I believe.

The media played them up big, but other than a few statements from Hartford about regulating "dangerous weapons", nothing happened in the legislature.

[/quote]

Here's another scary thought: my young brother sent himself to law school and became a lawyer. He would tell me how left the professors lean in their thinking and philosophy. Any student who admitted a conservitive standpoint about anything was mocked and ridiculed for their beliefs.

What we have are lawyers being trained to believe that conservative thinking is bad...liberal thinking: good. Well to do people: bad, poor and downtrodden: good. Our pool of legal professionals are tainted.
[/quote]

And these "liberally indoctrinated" law students become LAWYERS. And some of these lawyers become JUDGES. This is where liberal agenda-setting "judicial legislation" comes in :imo: I, for one, appreciate the efforts of the House Majority Leader in taking this issue head on (notice the disdain of the liberal media). :m2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back