• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel inletting machine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrywh

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Wulf.
Here is the only photo of my machine I have handy right now. It is like a stock duplicator. The head runs on the two rails. You can find some like this on the web under carving machines.
1-cutting-barrel-channels.jpg

wow! what a very clever gadget- (i'm a big fan of gadgets, and yours is really neat).

did you make it yourself? what kid of bit is in the 'business end?'

The cutter head is a router for trimming tile and takes a 1/4" bit. I have several different bits for it and matching styluses. I made it my self. I learned when I made it that there is an esier way to do it than this. That is another subject. It cost me about $500.00 to make this. The most expensive parts were the radial bearings and precision shafts. There is no shortcut to eliminate them. This works great for ram rod grooves and barrel inlets. The table is 8' long. It can cut a 44" barrel channel. It is very accurate.

It looks like you used Bondo or similar to cast the pattern piece .

For making the angled bottem cuts for oct. barrels do you use a 45deg router bit or custom grind ?

I use body filler for the pattern. for the bottom flat i use a 3/8" 45° cutter with the bottom ground off flat. works great.

Wow, thanks Jerry. It looks like you are somewhat of an engineer. Good looking machine. Thanks for showing it, I really appreciate it.

The Wolf

Back