• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel liners anyone ever put one in?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Some place in the Caplock Rifle Brockway said the best target rifles he built hed put in a barrel liner. Im trying to find away around getting custom barrels for the H and A. anyone ever try it at home? back when DGW used to sell them they made it sound like a breez to do ( and now they dont sell them) the one person that did give me info went on about breach gas cutting ect but was trying to sell a 300 buck barrel to. So anyone got some ideas about this one? :front: :front:

Ive got a old cat ill give them a call see what they got to say ,thank you. :front: :front:

Dixie gun works used to sell barrel liners for restoring antique barrels, essentially you bore out the old hole to a slip fit for the new barrel, the barrel is either soldered or acraglassed in (I would go solder personally). I don't think that there would be any problems in this route, the biggest concern I think, if your ideas are to start with a large blank, would be to get the hole straight and true, if not you'll still have to straighten the blank by hand before inserting the new barrel, remember the liner is fairly delicate and will take whatever curves exist in your blank.

fw -

I have installed several barrel liners, a couple of .22 calibers in Stevens Favorite single shots and one .45 caliber in an old swamped hand forged Kentucky rifle barrel, but its been a long time ago.

On the .22s, I ground the drill with a swept back point angle, and it followed the bore just like a piloted drill would. On the .45, I got too smart for my own good, and tried to "aim" the drill by clamping the barrel in the tool post on a lathe, with the drill in the headstock. This didn't work as well, and the drill drifted off center at the muzzle. I had to recontour the barrel to get the hole centered at the muzzle - lots of grinding involved.

In all three guns, I glued the liners in place with Acraglas. I wouldn't recommend soldering unless you have a burner or forge capable of heating the entire barrel, end to end. I didn't, thus the Acraglas. None of the rifles were tackdrivers, but they were reliable shooters, certainly better than before the liners were installed, and I was able to put three nice rifles back in circulation.

Bill

Back