• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

barrel lube for long term storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quinnconner

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a couple of barrels that I want to put away until I am ready for them.What is good to lube them with so they dont rust inside the bore??
J.J.

If your using petrolium products on your guns then a good gun oil should do. I've got several guns in my safe that have been stored for years with gun oil in the bore. Not a problem. I can't speak for the non-petrolium lubes as I stopped using them.

Of course how you store them and where makes a difference too. Cool, dry, safe is what I use. :imo:

You can lube them with about any good thick oil or grease, but the main thins is to plug the ends of them & have them in a dry enviroment. I have some barrels that I have stored for over 10 years & when I take the plugs out they are still like new inside & ourside. I lube mine good with heavy moror oil (30 or 40 wgt) and them take about 3-4 3" patches & soak them good & roll them up & twist them into the bores, then I lavishly oil the outsides of them & then wrap them in shrinkwrap......... Then I slide them in a box or a cardboard tube............ works for me.

Greetings Juaniata Jack,

RIG, RIG, RIG, RIG, RIG.

Been using it for 40 plus years without a problem.

Best regards and good shooting.

If you are not an NRA Member, why not? I am carrying your load.

Another good word for Rig. The stuff is as good as it gets for preserving ML guns.

Thanks for info on Brownells. I am down to the last few drops in the can...

CS

universal.jpg

Amen brother! I got away from it for a while ... after using it for years ... until my good friend John H. corrected my wayward ways! :bow:

Davy

Back