• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel not getting clean , what is going on?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all the help! Merry Christmas to all!

Hopefully Santa will bring me some scotch brite pads!

I'll keep y'all posted.

Just remember folks, Scotch-Brite ® pads are abrasive. They are coated with the same kind of stuff as sandpaper and they remove material from the bore.

If the bore is rusted, sanding is one of the methods that can be used to get rid of the rust so Scotch-Brite® is a useful approach to the problem.

For regular cleaning, I wouldn't use Scotch-Brite® any more than I would use lapping compound.

Zonie is right.
Scotch brite is almost a generic term...there are different colors and grades, as well as detergent impregnated pad sponges...

General purpose cookware green or blue (for non stick cookware) should be fine and is no more abrasive than 0000 steel wool, which also would work...
I figure if it doesn't scratch glass it not going to harm my barrel unless I abuse it.
Although I'm not going to use it unless I need it...
A pure, all copper pot scrubber also works well, especially for removing lead fouling.

Toss the t/c cleaner
use tepid water not boiling.
Your getting flash rust.
What is your patch lube?
What type of powder are you shooting?
You need to get that bore back to steel surface.
The bp gremlins are a pain.
Good luck.

22fowl said:
Toss the t/c cleaner
use tepid water not boiling.
Your getting flash rust.
What is your patch lube?
What type of powder are you shooting?
You need to get that bore back to steel surface.
The bp gremlins are a pain.
Good luck.

Lube is pre-lubed patches. Powder is goex.

I think that the degreaser is working. The barrel feels smoother and so far it's staying clean. Seams as though a layer of old dried oil put a layer of varnish on the barrel. It looks better too. It may very well be rust pitted, but can't worry about that now. Just gotta keep at it.

I completely agree! Putting anything abrasive in a bore that does not have a rigid shape conforming to barrel interior is ruining the bore profile as was designed and painstakingly cut or buttoned.
Also there is no way scotch brite pads are addressing the groove corners with the same abrasive pressure as the land corners or groove bottoms.
True, patch round ball shooting will let you get away with it longer than it would with a naked lead bullet.
If your going to clean in this fashion I would suggest JB compound on a tight patch followed by Gunzilla on a bronze brush to get the land corners.

I always had issues with hot water when cleaning a bore. The patches would come out clean and I would dry the bore with a patch and it would be clean. If I let it sit to dry for a little more the oil patch would come out streaked with rust a little bit.

I went to warm water and the problem went away. I think hot water opens the pores of the metal and when it cools you get flash rust.

Eric Krewson said:
I suspect your barrel is rust pitted and will always hard to keep clean. I have one gun that way.

Sad but probably true. Rust pits usually pull red, but maybe you have put something down there to stain them black.

I suggest you get some organic acid rust remover, soak a scrap of rusty metal and see what you are up against :hmm:

WD40 seems, IMHO, to pull out stuff from a "clean" barrel. The patches may even come out clean; but push one down soaked with WD40 and it will bring out stain. I figure it must be stuff in the microscopic "pores" and machining marks. I'm sure that as you shoot and clean over and over your problem will become less and less.

My Christmas just got a little merrier!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
]Link[/url]
Not Perfect but much better!

Latest posts

Back