• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Barrel Wedge on Colt Revolver Reproductions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millermpls

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Brand new to the Colt repros. Barrel wedge removal seems beyond my finger strength to remove. Is there some trick?

I do not want to fire until I am confident in disassembly for cleaning.

Thank you in advance for advice.

When brand new those wedges can be stubborn. I've had to use a brass punch and a hammer on some of them. I put a piece of leather over the wedge before I start tapping. Once you get it out the first time its easier to do afterward though you may need to use the wood handle of a screw driver to tap it out the second or third time you remove it. For some reason they really hammer those suckers in at the factory.

Don

I always schlepped a 9" piece o f broom handle around with me...one sharp boink and it's in or out. :thumbsup:

So no trying to hold down the little tab (spring pressure) in the center of the wedge on removal? Do you lay the revolver on leather or something to 'back' when striking to avoid scratching?

I've never found that necessary, It's basically a spring with a notch that will compress and release when the wedge is pushed out. For home/shop I usually go the plastic or rawhide mallet route, but the piece of broom handle works well out in the north 40! :wink:

You might keep in mind that when you reassemble your Colt, that wedge does not have to be installed so deeply that the little spring latches onto the right side of the barrel.

Just insert the wedge and give it a light tap. That should be enough to keep everything together and to snug the lower area of the barrel up against the front of the frame.

IMO, that little springs job isn't to retain the wedge. It is to catch on the head of the screw on the left side of the barrel to keep the wedge from coming loose and getting lost.

I found a brass key and ground it flat to use as a punch but ive also used a cloths pin as a punch as well.

Becareful when you hammer on it not to hit the edge of the cylinder it can ding the edge and cause it to bind on the forcing cone. (trust me i know)

Dont do anything to the wedge, after you shoot it a few times it will get easier to remove. Mine was really tight till i put about 30 rounds threw it and now i can push it in and out with 2 thumbs. Im sure it will get easier after i shoot it more.

Some sugest to file it or sand but i wouldnt because it will loosen on its own in time.

All the above comments are spot on.
Once you've fired your gun a few times, you can file the wedge a few strokes at a time until it seats firmly but can be popped out with heavy thumb pressure. Once this fit is achieved you can pop the cylinder off quicker than a Remington.

Maybe i'm thinkin of a different model,but i have one that only goes out part way,stays in place,then push back in.

Back