• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Colt 1851 Wedge Issue.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought this 2nd Gen 1851 Colt here on MLF. It is missing the wedge screw, which I didn’t think much about until I broke the gun down to clean and inspect, and the barrel absolutely will not come off until the wedge is removed completely.

The gun has been fired, and no doubt a previous owned got tired of removing the screw to get the wedge out, so he took it out, stashed it somewhere, and of course lost it.

My question is about the wedge. My understanding is it should not need to come completely out of the barrel for break-down, and in fact the screw is intended to keep it from coming out so it doesn’t get lost. But this one needs to come completely out.

Has anyone encountered this? What’s the right fix? My first thought is to file down the small end so it doesn’t protrude as far and will allow the barrel to come off, but if there’s a better way I’d love to hear it.

The wedge # matches the rest of the gun so it’s not a replacement.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 311392
So the wedge on my pietta 51 Navy sheriff was definitely in there a very tight fit.first time removal was with a punch it still doesn't like to come out by hand. I don't know if that's normal or not but screws are available at Taylor's

The spring hook isn't even making it out to the keep screw in the picture, it's catching on the inside of the barrel mortise. The hook height or back of the spring or the trough in the wedge needs more clearance so the spring can be depressed enough to clear the inside edge of the barrel slot. A bit if filing in one of these areas for spring depression clearance should allow the wedge to retract enough for barrel removal.
A properly fit wedge only needs a bump from a screw driver handle to install or remove. Beating on it any more than necessary to get it apart will mess something up !
Right, that’s why I was thinking of a slight chamfer on the inner edge of the barrel mortise.
I’m still troubleshooting, although I haven’t yet had the time to really sit down with it.
One thing I need to check is if there is any crud built up under the spring; that would keep it from depressing enough to clear the slot.

Fixed.

No crud under the spring but the chamfer did the trick, although that might be too strong a description.

I hit the inner edge of the slot with a jewelers file, just broke the edge slightly, and now the wedge pulls out just like it should.

Just need the replacement screw and I should be good to go.

Thanks for all the input; this forum is rapidly turning into my favorite!

Just hope I can afford all the new toys I’m being tempted by… 😎

Back