• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bear hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Hawken

40 Cal.
Reaction score
just wondering how many have shot bears with their guns and what they used. i have a 54 renegade and was going to use r/b fo a black bear hunt.did anyone need follow up shots.

I've killed all of two black bear with PRB. One was a small (125lb) sow that was shot with a .54 flintlock at about 50 yards. Ball went in just above the white chest patch and popped out just in front of the hip. Bear just rolled over and kicked a couple of times.
Second bear was about 180 lb boar, shot with a .58 PRB thru the shoulder at 100+ yards. Rolled a few yards down a slope and into a creek bottom. Heard the death moan about the time I was repriming. Still went back to camp and came back with a buddy and shotguns/buckshot before going into the thick stuff after it.
PRB works fine, but have a backup plan "just in case".

I've shot 3 with a home made flintlock. It's a .50, using 80 gr. of 3f (2f on the first one). They ranged from 196 lbs. to 500 lbs. All at 45 yds or less (you know they are close when you see those black marble eyes moving back-n-forth looking you over). Oh, this was using a PRB also.

i killed a decent one a few years back over bait with a 50 caliber PRB. dont remember the powder charge. right in the lungs, ran about 50 feet. delicious!!!

Back