• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Lube Latest and Greatest

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried a new lube today and I think I may be on to something. 10 shots, no swabbing, loaded with wood under barrel ramrod, loaded easy and that's as good or better as I've shot with that setup.
1727379129945.png
reinventing the wheel.

There's fish oils..

The jojoba. Suppose to be a substitute for sperm whale oil.

Attachments

• 1727533814320536766643207884573.jpg
    1727533814320536766643207884573.jpg
    88.3 KB
  • 17275336619183525829790352966523.jpg
    17275336619183525829790352966523.jpg
    16.3 KB
Pure bear grease or bear oil. Depends on the bear being rendered and the ambient temperature.
Yeah that's the best if you can get it. Foster some friendships with Bear hunters and then get a big pot and burner you can use outside and only use it for rendering bear fat. Had a friend in Vermont who did that with a bear he harvested. Used the bear grease (white stuff) for patch lube and that golden oil for oiling parts and coating the barrel and lock. If I recall correctly the golden oil would slowly separate and rise above the white grease he had in jars and he'd pour that into smaller jars. His wife shoved him outdoors as soon as he tried to render some of the fat in one of her stock pots indoors, and made him buy her a new stock pot. She said it took all day to get the smell out of the house and she would never use that pot again for cooking.

My Grandmother used to make soap out back of the ranch-house in the 1950's, usually after slaughtering a pig. She used a big old cauldron sitting over an oak fire out back, away from the house. She would render the fat, remove the cracklin's and pour in ashes from their fireplace into the fat, letting them boil together. They used Oak because there was a lot of it on the ranch and soft woods like pine are too resinous to produce decent lye for the soap. The soap was used for everything and Ivory Soap is basically the same lye soap she would make - no detergent or additives in it just basic soap. I remember the smell and thinking, "thank God she only does this once a year".

Back