• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bedford build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigry

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got a wild hair one day and decided to build a long rifle. After a lot of looking I decided to build a bedford style and started acquiring parts. Two and a half months later this is what I came up with. This is my first build
IMAG0254_zps13f687d4.jpg.html
IMAG0255_zpsf92bc9b2.jpg.html

Dang!! that's a beautiful rifle! :thumbsup: and talk about some curl on a rifle! that is just unbelievable! :bow: Who did you get the wood from? it looks like Red Maple also.

That's some gorgeous wood! You should be very proud. Problem is...you set the bar pretty high for build #2!

Thanks guys I had a good time building this one. I am already thinking of the next one. A Tennessee flint with a swamped barrel

psst! for the Tennessee flinter, go with a .40 a - weight Colerain ...

fantastic hang!

(just one guy's opinion ... free and well worth the price)

I really like the 40 idea, but would go with an A wt "Southern Classic" from Rice - sweeeeeeeeeeet barrel and a little less swamp, more typical of "non-PA" swamped barrels.

One day 40's will rule the world :rotf:

I will have to do it in a 45 cause that is the smallest we can use here for deer

Here in the United States of Texas there are no caliber restriction for muzzleloaders as far as I can tell. :bow:

Bigry, I agree, that's some gorgeous wood, and well executed. I'm assembling parts for my first build from scratch, so I gotta ask;
1. What kind of barrel did you go with, length, caliber, diameter.
2. What kind of finish did you use on your wood?
3. what did you use to finish the barrel, ie. type of browning, etc.

Thanks for showing off your work,
Eterry

Eterry I went with a 42" 7/8 colrein barrel in 50 cal finished with
Laurel mountain barrel brown. I used mahogany leather dye on the stock rubbed back with oooo steel wool and finished with 9 coats of tru oil

Thanks Bigry, I'm going with a Colerain barrel also, and have a grade 6 blank on its way from Dunlaps as we speak...(I just checked the tracking no., its in transit) :grin: and I cant wait to see what santa is bringing me!

I'm going with a 40 caliber, I have a pair of 58's, a 54, a pair of 45's and a 50, I want to shoot squirrels and find something when the smoke clears!

I'm going for an early Lancaster look, that style just calls to me

thanks,
Eterry

Just like many of the rest of us, you went without a patch box for your first build, and no carving. You got it done as quickly as you could, but still payed attention to the quality of your work.

I guarantee that on your next build, you will want to add more features, such as a patch box, raised or incised carving, inlaid pieces, wire, and maybe even engraving. And, you will take off more wood, will take you much longer to build, and you will be less satisfied with it when it's done.

Your third build will be less ambitious than your second, but your execution will be better, and take you less time to build.

Your fourth will be better than the third, and slightly more ambitions.

Your fifth will take you at least 4 years to build and be a masterpiece, incorporating all the things you learned making the first four, and you'll spend about 800 hours on it.

And on and on it goes, until your estate will sell off your partially built last rifle. :(

Back