• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Beeswax and ????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I 've noticed a question or two that really didn't get an answer, so here it goes. Tallow is the renduring of beef, venison, mutton fats to thier purest form. This is done by melting down the fats with a little water, letting stand and letting impurities rise to the top. Once cooled, scrape the top layer of and start over, the more times repeated the better.

I like using tallow and bees wax at 60/40 mix for travelling. I make some stuff for the shop 3 parts tallow, beeswax and olive oil for a more workable paste for leather working and sealing wood items.

Hope I answered all and didn't put you fellas to sleep. :yakyak:

Thank you Bull.....thats what I had in mind when asked this question......what receipts everyone had and what they used them for....

I rendered down about 15lbs of beef fat last weekend and going to do the second boiling this weekend. The info I found was on the internet, which was only two different ways of doing it, so if they don't work....I'll start over.

So off to the boiler...... :thumbsup:

stumpy
made some moose milk today and noticed approimately three to four oz.has stratified at the top .it is kind of a cream color and have to shake it up a little to blend it .is this normal? i mixed it in proportion to your recipe but mixed it with hot tap water at 125deg. :: :what:

. . . it is kind of a cream color and have to shake it up a little to blend it. Is this normal?

That's normal. Just shake well before using or transferring into smaller containers.

Stumpy I'm looking for a formula for Moose Ear Wax. Do you have a good one?

The only one I'm familiar with requires a moose and a lot of patience.

moose1a.JPG
FG-George_small.jpg
sixpack_angle.jpg

You can hit the bar circuit in the Adirondacks and collect a bunch that the taxidermists miss. The best part is that if you order the right drinks you get a little plastic sword and paper umbrella that you can use to collect the wax. Just tell the bartender: "I'll have a Pink Lady and a stool under the moose."

Tell 'em Stumpy sent you. :winking: It's always best to ask the bartender if he allows moose pokin. And don't forget to check for snot while you're digging around up there. You might want to ask a burly local to hold your stool while you're poking the moose.

You might want to ask a burly local to hold your stool while you're poking the moose.

Ifen Ah wer a doin that cole-ectin , an the moose jumped, tha only stool ah would worry 'bout wood be tha one in ma pants, an Ah shur don't want some burly guy tryin ta hold that! ::

I'm not asking a burly local to hold nuttin! 'Specially if I'm drinking something called Pink Lady! How do you know so much about drinks with umbrellas and called a Pink Lady anyway? :haha:

Back